the right ammo???

Talk Anything related to Elk Hunting
Tenner
Spike
Spike

Re: the right ammo???

Post by Tenner » Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:49 pm

I would say for the 308, I would use a 168 bullet. No need to get into 180gr. The 168gr will do fine if it's put where it needs to be. I would try to find a quality bullet. Do the corelokts work? Yes they will do the job, but I think there are better rounds out there. You will want something that will unload some energy into that animal. I personally shoot Bergers for all my big game from a 7mm mag. HSM make loaded Berger ammo. The other ones I would look at for 308 would be Federal with Barnes TTSX or Matchking. Nosler Partition or Accubond or Hornady ELD-X. The 7mm-08 is a great Elk round, don't let people down play it. Most people think you need a .30 cal or a magnum to hunt elk. Not true. There are a lot of elk shot every year with 7mm-08. For this round I would shoot 140 to 168 gr. The 168gr will carry more energy, but the 140 will have more forgiveness on holdovers. Some bullet choices as the 308. The .25-06 can get the job done too. They have good velocity. I would find a bullet with good expansion or complete energy dump such as a Berger or Accubond. Should be able to find 110 Accubond out there.

Remember, people take a lot of game with 6.5 x284, 6.5x47 Lapua, and 6.5 Creedmoor. The .25-06 is not that far below those rounds. .257 bullet compared to a .264