Ut LE Rifle tag

Talk Anything related to Elk Hunting
Hiker

Re: Ut LE Rifle tag

Post by Hiker » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:37 am

I plan on applying again this year for a LE tag, though my chances are slim. My wife doesn't want to stay in the Utah draw any longer. The license fee and the point fees aren't that bad but when you look at Non-Resident draw odds, which is horrible on LE elk tags and the 20 years of applying, just to have a chance of drawing, it's not worth the money and time to stay at it for her. After the convention tags are taken out, we NR's only get 7.5% of the the LE tags. Which IMO is to low.
Hiker

Proverbs 3:5-6

NH Hunter
Fawn
Fawn

Post by NH Hunter » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:06 pm

Hi Fellas,

I'm new to this site also. I'm also trying to research possible elk hunting areas. I've been looking around the site a time or two before but just signed up today. I was looking at the Wasatch area around Strawberry Reservoir. I am guessing that there would be bulls around there but maybe not the number or size that I might find elsewhere in UT. I have 8 NR preference points and have applied almost every year. I have hunted northwestern CO for about 13 years. DIY hunts on public land with my buddy. I used to look in on the forum at the state (Utah) website but it's gone. Hiker says quite a few of you hang out over here. As a NR I may never get enough points/luck to hunt the very best areas but I don't want to waste my points on a poor area either. I may buy points for a couple more years but, with the rule changes, they're getting expensive. By then my oldest boy would be old enough to go with me....if I draw.

Thanks.
Gregg

Elk, Deer, Bear, Turkey...and someday....Moose

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:24 pm

NH Hunter

::wel to MuleyMadness! Glad to have you aboard.

NH Hunter
Fawn
Fawn

Post by NH Hunter » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:42 pm

Thanks MM! Glad to be here. Hope I can contribute something and not be totally useless! :)
Gregg

bigbuck92
Monster
Monster

Post by bigbuck92 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:51 pm

NH Hunter wrote:Hope I can contribute something and not be totally useless! :)

Ya you have to contribute cause being useless is my job here :) Just ask anybody.
Cody
Old hunters NEVER die,they just have better camo.

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:09 pm

bigbuck92 wrote:
NH Hunter wrote:Hope I can contribute something and not be totally useless! :)

Ya you have to contribute cause being useless is my job here :) Just ask anybody.
yup, i'll back that up :)) :)) j/k BB
NH HUNTER welcome to the madness! i cant help to much with your utah info, i'm not from there but i'm sure theres someone who can help out. i put in for wasatch also, but i only have 4 points ](*,) ](*,) wanna trade?

Painted Horse
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Painted Horse » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:20 pm

I've been looking at this myself, Trying to decide which unit to put in for. I've been putting in for the San Juan.
Looking at last years draw, Even max point ( which was 14 last year and will be 15 this year) The San Juan was a 1:3.2 for the regular hunt and 1:8 for the Premium. So even having max points doesn't guarantee you a tag in that area. I could be another 3-4 years before I draw a tag in that unit.

There are a number of other respectable units that had 100% for max points and even close to 100% for one less than max points. I've taken several friends (or their kids on youth tags ) down and gotten some 370-380 bulls off these other units. I'm begining to wonder if holding out for a San Juan and the chance of a 400 class bull is worth the wait, of if I should apply for a unit where my points would be almost a 100% draw and go get a nice 370-380 bull. Especially since the Management Bull hunt on the San Juan this year is the week before the LE.
Last edited by Painted Horse on Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MULEY7MM
4 point
4 point

Post by MULEY7MM » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:28 pm

That would be a hard decision :-k I would probly wait for a couple more years and then if you dont draw pick another hunt i have been on the san juan unit sevrel times and i still dream about the bulls i seen
Glad to be back...

http://www.troutjournal.com

NH Hunter
Fawn
Fawn

Post by NH Hunter » Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:21 am

Do the number of max points creep up every year? With so few tags being drawn, am I going to be in the same place in line in five years with only five fewer guys in front of me? If I'm 40th in line behind the guys with more points, will I be in 35th in five years assuming I continue to accumulate points? If that's the case I may be dead before I draw.....unless the guys before me die first. :-k That'd be a heck of an advertisement..."Come to Utah for you Last Rights 400 Class Bull Hunt".
Gregg

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:08 am

Yes the odds are horrific and getting worse EVERY year. A 400 class bull on the San Juan is no cake walk. I'd be happy with a 370-380 class bull on another unit myself. Just my opinion.