Valles Caldera

Talk Anything related to Elk Hunting
M.Bird
3 point
3 point

Valles Caldera

Post by M.Bird » Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:12 am

Is any one putting in for the hunts on the Valles Caldera in New Mexico? This was called the Baca Ranch before it was bought by the state. Hunting on the Baca started around $10,000 for a bull that was late 80’s money. This is NOT a High Fence hunt; these are just free range elk, which like this area. I’m going to buy a couple of drawing tickets and see what happens, maybe I will get lucky.

Here is the web site if any one is interested

http://www.vallescaldera.gov/

M. Bird

Hiker

Re: Valles Caldera

Post by Hiker » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:15 am

M.Bird, I haven't applied for the Valles Caldera yet but have heard great things about the bulls that they kill off of there. I hope you draw. NM Oryx deadline is approaching fast, 2/5 or so.
Hiker

Proverbs 3:5-6

M.Bird
3 point
3 point

Post by M.Bird » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:25 am

I hunter in a unit just off the Valles Calders in 6C, season before last (06) saw some nice bulls right on the edge, never could catch them on my side of the fence. If you get the chance it’s well worth the effort. I should have a better chance for the Oryx this year, I get to draw from a special pool.

Good luck on your draw

silvertip-co
2 point
2 point

Post by silvertip-co » Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:50 am

I saw a Caldera hunt on tv a while back. Some pretty huge bulls there. Its not far from my home, i'd like to take a gosee ride and look it over. Good luck on your draw.
SVENSKA50@HOTMAIL.COM
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Painted Horse
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Painted Horse » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:11 pm

They have a booth at the Hunting Expo this week. They are promoting the ranch. The state wants it to be self sufficent. You buy a lottery ticket for $25. If you are lucky and draw, then you get to buy a tag from the New Mexico Fish & game at the normal Resident/Non Resident price.

the fellow manning the booth said it's a day use area only. No camping in allowed on the ranch. Vehicles have to stay on the road. No ATV travel off the roads. Horses are allowed.

He said to expect to see lots of elk, Bulls would be mostly in the 350 class.

M.Bird
3 point
3 point

Post by M.Bird » Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:39 am

I have been on there hiking on the trails, most of the bulls are in the 350-375 class, but there are a lot of them, you won’t see just one, you see lots of them in the unit you are assigned to hunt. As far as camping, there are campgrounds just outside of the Caldera, you could be camping within 2-3 miles of your hunting area, and they are working on a camping area for the further. They started the turkey hunting also, not a bird hunter so don’t know much information about it other than, you must purchase lottery tickets and draw for your chance.

Kroil
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Kroil » Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:06 am

I was just lion hunting in that area a few weeks ago and the amount of elk in the lower elevations was just staggering. I saw a few bulls, nothing spectacular. I did see some sheds taken in the area by some locals and a few of them were close to 200" per side. I would think it to be a great area with great trophy potential. Some of it is quite rugged. Good luck.

264MAG
Fawn
Fawn

Post by 264MAG » Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:30 pm

They have gotten $200 of my money for the last 3 years.
There was an on going fight between the NM G&F and the preserve over who was going to conduct the draw.
I think it was 3 years ago Valles Caldera did it without the state. Now the perserve is selling the lotto chances but the state is conducting the draw.

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:22 pm

when is the deadline?

264MAG
Fawn
Fawn

Post by 264MAG » Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:35 pm

April 9th.

I was worng. The preserve is conducting the draw this year.