ATV question

Talk Anything related to Elk Hunting
smoothy1975
Fawn
Fawn

ATV question

Post by smoothy1975 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:08 am

hey everyone, Iam looking to get a 4x4, 400cc ATV to use when I bow hunt, not only to get me deeper into an area but so I can get it out when I get one. There are so many brands that I was hoping to get opinions from all of you on which ones you enjoy and would suggest. Thank you for your time.

sneekeepete
Monster
Monster

Re: ATV question

Post by sneekeepete » Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:56 am

I think you should get a horse lol ! You don't have to worry about trails and all of that just certified feed for them. We have horses and use them most of the time and that is what I prefer to use but I would imagine you don't have the nessesities for a horse so...
I like Honda 4 wheelers. That is all we have ever owned and they have run forever!
SNEEKEEPETE
OIF Vet.
Sgt Petersen USMC
Colossians 1:27,28

smoothy1975
Fawn
Fawn

Post by smoothy1975 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:30 pm

That seems to be the common answer so far about the Honda ATV's. I might have to see how much used ones are going for. They are pricey brand new.

NotEnufTags
Monster
Monster

Post by NotEnufTags » Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:09 pm

smoothy1975 wrote:hey everyone, Iam looking to get a 4x4, 400cc ATV to use when I bow hunt, not only to get me deeper into an area but so I can get it out when I get one. There are so many brands that I was hoping to get opinions from all of you on which ones you enjoy and would suggest. Thank you for your time.
My ATV of choice is a Honda Rincon 650. My dads Yamaha Kodiak 400 is a great machine. I don't think you can go wrong with a Honda or a Yamaha. My personal opinion is Yamaha for performance, Honda for reliability, but both manufacturers make great machines. The grizzly 450 would fit your bill. It's a great machine that sits between the typical 400's and the big bore 600 pluses. Good luck with your purchase and stay on the trail.
"Some day I'll scout out a monster, spot him while hunting, make the stalk of a lifetime, and have dreams come true. 'Til then I'll be happy with the buck in my cross-hairs."

AntlersOutWest
4 point
4 point

Post by AntlersOutWest » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:53 am

I have a Polaris ranger for sale.. Im going to post it in the classifides in a sec..

Not sure what your price range is but the ranger is a year old.. 400 miles Kept in the garage.. Well maintained and a awesome machine..

Bowtech43
3 point
3 point

Post by Bowtech43 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:59 am

We have Two Polaris machines and love'em!
Nothing like the great outdoors! :)

DeadI

Post by DeadI » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:19 pm

What ever you choose. ( I like the Artic Cats ) make sure you stay on the trails and road that are dedicated to atv use. Don't go making your own trails.
Deadi

sneekeepete
Monster
Monster

Post by sneekeepete » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:40 pm

DeadI wrote:What ever you choose. ( I like the Artic Cats ) make sure you stay on the trails and road that are dedicated to atv use. Don't go making your own trails.
+1 My Dad is the public land administrator for the county and he is really pushing the enforcement of these knuckle heads that do not stay on trails!
SNEEKEEPETE
OIF Vet.
Sgt Petersen USMC
Colossians 1:27,28

M.Bird
3 point
3 point

Post by M.Bird » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:33 pm

The biggest, $$$$, and loudest one you can find, that way I know when you are coming.
Go with Horses or Mules

Huge29
2 point
2 point

Post by Huge29 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:46 pm

I have asked around about this topic a lot as I am also passively in the market too. I have ridden a lot of them and came up with the following:
Acrtic Cat-very poorly engineered, as of a few years ago the cooling fan turns on with the key, which is a big problem when a battery is low; it should be thermostatically controlled like most. You have to take most of the plastic apart just to check the air filter...ranked last on my list.
Suzuki-not all that familiar with them, but have pretty good reviews. At one point, they were the only ones that had a pull start with EFI, probably no longer the case.
Polaris-nice smooth ride, but heavy as an elephant and very questionable reliability.
kawi-dunno about them
Honda-don't ride very smooth, but bulletproof. The rincon does appear to be the best of both worlds since it has independent suspension front and rear (only Honda model that has that).
Yamaha-I have not ridden any of the newer ones, but a Grizz would be a tie for first with the Rincon in my opinion.
Here is a site of a small dealership in Price that probably has the best deals around, has lots of very low mileage ATV's, located in Price-http://www.autopluswindowstickers.com/h ... search.asp