Pine Valley Elk Permit Scam?

Talk Anything related to Elk Hunting
JeffJ84
Fawn
Fawn

Re: Pine Valley Elk Permit Scam?

Post by JeffJ84 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:45 pm

just another quick question.... As far as the greys ranch area, does anyone know where they are getting their water from?? I havent seen any creeks or streams around there, and I doubt they are drinking out of the cattle ponds cuz I would have seen at least some signs... I used my gps to hike to some so called "springs", but they must be dried up cuz the only water around was the water in my camel back! ](*,)

Mike Honcho
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Mike Honcho » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:12 pm

You're right there isn't much water around there. I've seen them water in the spring in the bottom of Horse Valley and I've also seen them water over the hill to the west on the Mtn Meadows side at a couple of spots. Out west of enterprise is tough cuz there's even less elk and less water, especially this year.
"You can't fix stupid!"

dixonha
Fawn
Fawn

Post by dixonha » Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:31 pm

I'm glad to finally find some fellow frustrated Pine Valley elk hunters. I have spent considerable time researching this and scouting and hunting. Since it is the last week of the rifle hunt, I'll tell you this. There is a lot of sign out west. Fresh sign even a month ago. Head west of Enterprise and take the last major dirt road north before you hit the border. In fact, go to the border, turn around and go back about .6-.7 of a mile and turn left (this is the western side of the big loop that runs from the Nephi Spring Area back behind Studhorse Draw and up almost to the base of Mt. Escalante toward the Nevada border). Follow that road up 2-3 miles (I'm guessing) until you come to an open area with an abandoned corral and water trough. There are 3-4 large burn areas in there. There is a lot of sign in there. I saw fresh tracks in there a month ago and a lot of elk poop. There were probably only 5-10 in there a month ago, but there are likely more now that there have been a few snow storms. Saw one of the biggest mule deer bucks I've ever seen in there about a month ago. Anyway, if you see a white Ford F-150 pick up in there this week, come say hello and stay QUIET and behind cover. This is my last chance to drop one this week so don't blow it for me (or for you). Best of luck to you.

dixonha
Fawn
Fawn

Post by dixonha » Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:34 pm

Also, so you know, I personally spoke with the Southern Utah biologist about this and he said that of the 15-20 cow elk permits issued last year on the rifle hunt, only 4 filled their tags and most of them if not all of them were taken on the border. He says they water out to Nephi Spring and hug the border and not to waste time looking anywhere else. Good luck.