Elk hunting on a budget

Talk Anything related to Elk Hunting
bevelededge
Fawn
Fawn

Elk hunting on a budget

Post by bevelededge » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:43 pm

My hunting buddy and I want to go elk hunting but the problem is we don't have the funds to hire a guide service to help us with our hunt. Can anyone give me any advice on how to achieve a quality elk hunt on a budget? We are from Maryland and can travel...

TheGreatwhitehunter

Re: Elk hunting on a budget

Post by TheGreatwhitehunter » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:59 pm

There are some good books to check out such as Elk hunting the west the Eastman way by Mike Eastman. Colorado has OTC tags for 2nd and 3rd season season. Pick a area with a high population of elk and go at it.
THE LORD IS MY ROCK

speedgoat
Spike
Spike

Post by speedgoat » Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:00 pm

If you are serious about and cannot afford a guide you need to be willing to invest the time and travel. Your first, maybe even second years might not produce anything. To take it seriously you've got to understand the patterns that elk have for the migration, weather, and precip. I moved to CO in 2004 just started talking and asking questions.

buckykm1
2 point
2 point

Post by buckykm1 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:42 pm

I went with a guide about 6 years ago, and just like you i can't afford to drop big $$ every year.
I live in Michigan, i just went out and bought a wall tent and all the gear i needed, and now i do DIY hunts, i study the state web sites to decide where i want to go, get maps, and basically just go for it, if 2 guys go to split the cost it usually cost me $1300.00 to $1500.00 for a 2 week trip and that includes everything. hunting the mountains is a lot different then hunting back east so you need to pay attention to what you are doing. and get in the best shape you can. i have had several close calls with bulls over the last 5 years and finally scored on my first bull this year, but whether i get anything or not, it is always a great time. and i can't wait to get back out there next year.

Kevin

primal215
3 point
3 point

Post by primal215 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:01 pm

buckykm1 are you holding out on the pics :thumb

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:34 pm

primal215 wrote:buckykm1 are you holding out on the pics :thumb
+1

i dont care if it's a spike!, lets see some pics!

buckykm1
2 point
2 point

Post by buckykm1 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:26 am

primal215 wrote:buckykm1 are you holding out on the pics :thumb
No i am not holding out on the pictures :) . i just have not had time to right the story yet and figure out how to post pictures on this site, and my typeing skills suck so it takes me a while to do it, but i promise i will get up with in the next few days.

Kevin

Springville Shooter
Monster
Monster

Post by Springville Shooter » Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:32 am

I'd be willing to bet an elk hunting trip that someone on this forum would be williing to help you with your pics if your having trouble posting them up. I bet Killerbee would be one, I bet I would be another. Heck, I even bet primal would be willing to help. Just PM and ask if you need help, we wanna see them.Sounds like it will be a great story.-----shooter
"Only accurate rifles are interesting"-----Col. Townsend Whelen

UvUBowhunter
Spike
Spike

Post by UvUBowhunter » Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:41 pm

I dont know if you are planning on rifle or archery but if you end up in utah and dont really know where to go i wouldnt mind helping you on a hunt. Me and my dad love to go out but we might be doing archery this year. If you are going to hunt utah you can PM me and we can talk more. The general season is kind of tough for elk though.

me+3
Fawn
Fawn

Post by me+3 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:45 pm

Try Josh Carlbom/ (website) Sun canyon Lodge and Outfitting. It's $3500 plus tags, 7 days, elk and deer. It's a back country hunt. Not what you would think a elk hunt would be. It's a very good hunt and not well advertised. He only does a couple of shows a year. Most of his booking is done a year in advance. Most of his clients are long standing. However, he does have holes here and there. He does bow and rifle. All you need is your personal hunting gear.

I would highly suggest you give him a call. This is as good of public land hunt as you will find. You can also feel free to contact me directly. my phone is 406-562-3546. Al his info is on the website listed above.