Post by m gardner » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:25 am

Very true.
Mark

6x6 bull
3 point
3 point

Re: Question for you BOHNTR ?

Post by 6x6 bull » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:59 am

Roy, I guess where I thought that P&Y would find it questionable is in your scenerio you were watching one seep but If I had the money I could put a camera on every water hole on the strip and hire a team of people to check the pics. In one night you covered one spot and I covered them all. I realize that just because you got a pic does't mean that you will kill the buck but it sure eliminates alot of other less productive areas.Seems it might take away alot of the hunting which you were doing and puts it into the category of moving in for the kill.

BOHNTR

Post by BOHNTR » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:45 am

6X6:

You're absolutely right......and what you just described occurs annually on the Strip and Henries. It's not a violation of fair chase in terms of record entry.....but not my preferred method of take.
BOHNTR )))-------------->

Bowhunting Editor-Western Hunter Magazine
Pope & Young Measurer
Boone & Crockett Measurer

derekp1999
4 point
4 point

Post by derekp1999 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:05 pm

6x6 bull wrote:Roy, I guess where I thought that P&Y would find it questionable is in your scenerio you were watching one seep but If I had the money I could put a camera on every water hole on the strip and hire a team of people to check the pics. In one night you covered one spot and I covered them all. I realize that just because you got a pic does't mean that you will kill the buck but it sure eliminates alot of other less productive areas.Seems it might take away alot of the hunting which you were doing and puts it into the category of moving in for the kill.
Doesn't sound like much of a "hunt" if you ask me, I prefer my spotting scope and some boot leather. I understand a couple cameras & checking them every couple weeks, but this scenario is a bit over the top (even though it happens regularly on the premium units).
“The consequences of our actions are always so complicated, so diverse, that predicting the future is a very difficult business indeed.”
-Albus Dumbledore

codyca
Fawn
Fawn

Post by codyca » Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:55 am

I dont like trail cams. We have a favorite canyon in ca. d-14 near lucerne valley with bucks, bighorns, and a very large old black bear. The only time you see the bear is when he is stealing a bit of the food my partner left out at night, or while glassing so I prefer to leave him alone. Then a friend who recently died of cancer gave our spot away and they placed trail cams near the springs and oak groves and came up with lots of pics of that bear. Luckily the bear is smarter than they are and has avoided their attempts to kill him. My point being those guys would have never known that bear was there or at least not how big he is with out the use of that trail camera. I believe it is about the hunt, Not knowing where to hunt from some camera instead of your own woodsmanship.