Question for you BOHNTR ?

Talk anything related to bowhunting
6x6 bull
3 point
3 point

Question for you BOHNTR ?

Post by 6x6 bull » Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:07 pm

Bohntr, Lets say that I finally draw my Strip tag and I hire the best guide on the strip for my once in a lifetime tag. We all know that the next world record could be around the next hill. I show up to camp and my guide shows me trail cam pics of a giant that he has taken at a specific tank. He has many cameras out and has decided that this water hole is my best chance to kill him. Lets for the sake of arguement say that I happen to kill this great buck. Will I get to enter it into the record books? It was taken with the use of electronic devices was it not? What is the currrent stance on trailcams by P&Y? I wonder how many trophies are entered with this very same thing happening?

BOHNTR

Re: Question for you BOHNTR ?

Post by BOHNTR » Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:22 pm

Actually with that scenario the use of electronic equipment was not used to take the animal.......no more so then your truck used to to get there or your alarm clock that woke you up that morning. Regular game cameras are not a violation of B&C/P&Y fair chase......if they are used in the manner you describe. Therefore the entry is acceptable.

The game cameras that are not allowed are the "live feed" cameras that give the hunter/guide live recordings monitored by laptop, etc.....allowing the hunter/guide to monitor the water hole live and respond when something appears.
BOHNTR )))-------------->

Bowhunting Editor-Western Hunter Magazine
Pope & Young Measurer
Boone & Crockett Measurer

AGCHAWK
Monster
Monster

Post by AGCHAWK » Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:29 pm

Hmmmm....I have never thought about this before until 6X6 brought it up. Interesting thoughts on the subject.

Great points Roy. Thanks for the clarification on the subject.

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:48 pm

AGCHAWK wrote:Hmmmm....I have never thought about this before until 6X6 brought it up. Interesting thoughts on the subject.

Great points Roy. Thanks for the clarification on the subject.
and an ABSOLUTE clarification of it. thers not a "grey " area, evryone uses some sort of electronic device , truck, gps , yada, yada,....

if you drew your strip tag, and your guide showed you a buck that was the next world record- but on a trail camera, you'd have to be a pretty darned die hard not to shoot it just because it has had it's picture taken......

6x6 bull
3 point
3 point

Post by 6x6 bull » Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:01 pm

Thanks BOHNTR. I knew that I could count on you knowing the answer to my question where it pertains to the P&Y club. I don't want you or anyone else thinking that I am against trailcams because I am not. I think that they are great tools. I also think that they have saved the lives of some great looking whitetails that I passed up because I had a pic of a bigger one. I guess that I thought P&Y would take a harder stance. I still think that the trailcam telling me which tank to sit would be looked at a little more harshly than say the flashlight that I used to get to that tank. The flashlight or truck as you stated just got me to the area the trailcam photo told me where to go.

BOHNTR

Post by BOHNTR » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:35 am

Personally, I don't use game cams......just not my thing. But those that use them seem to enjoy them.......kind of like a surprise present, as you never know what you're going to get/see.

I really can't say they give you anymore advantage than say physically sitting up on a hill and glassing the same water hole during watering hours. I've done that.....then walked down to the waterhole to check his track for future reference.....only to find a camera. Think about it, now we both (camera and I) have acquired the same amount of information......just different means to get there. Now I will say to those that use them........just because your trail cam is on a seep/hole doesn't mean a person can't hunt there.......the camera does not provide ownership of the public property in which it sits. Some seem to forget that.

Lastly, just because you get a photo of a buck on a camera......or see him on a hole.....doesn't mean you're going to kill him there.......especially on the Strip. Many of the bucks water at several different seeps and tanks. I know I arrowed my Strip buck by means of stalking.......even though I could have sat some water holes......but there was no guarantee a big enough buck was going to come in that week if at all. I liked my chances with spot and stalking.....where I was in control of what I hunted. Just a personal thing for me......and it worked out.

Pope & Young Measurer

m gardner
Monster
Monster

Post by m gardner » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:38 am

I've seen some very large deer and elk killed that have been scored and entered in SCI instead of P&Y or B&C since I've been in AZ and was told that it was because some sort of baiting was done prior or during the hunt and that it was legal here. You may want to discuss this with any guide whose services you engage. They were discussing making it illegal to bait but I don't believe it has been done yet.
Mark

BOHNTR

Post by BOHNTR » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:45 am

As long as the baiting does not violate state law, then entry into P&Y/B&C is allowable. Currently, Arizona allows baiting. Some will have their animal entered into SCI so they can have "higher" score, as their system is different than B&C/P&Y........however SCI also allows pen raised animals in their records program.

Pope & Young Measurer

m gardner
Monster
Monster

Post by m gardner » Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:54 am

I'm not much of a record book kinda guy but even if it is legal how does baiting qualify as fair chase? I thought fair chase was one of the criteria for P&Y or B&C? I'm confused now. #-o
Mark

BOHNTR

Post by BOHNTR » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:05 am

Quite simple.....baiting is acceptable under the rules of fair chase.....providing it's legal in the respective state in which it was taken. I've never hunted over bait and have no future plans to do so.......but I know in parts of Canada without bait you'd probably never see a bear within archery range.

Pope & Young Measurer