Rage or Muzzy's

Talk anything related to bowhunting
1azbowhunter
Fawn
Fawn

Re: Rage or Muzzy's

Post by 1azbowhunter » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:51 pm

all i have to say is RAGE!!!but the new ulmer edge looks pretty awesome!

Mularcher
4 point
4 point

Post by Mularcher » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:31 am

I've been using the Rage two blade the last couple years with no real problems except deploying them on my quiver which is annoying when you have a buck at 40 yards.... so this year I decided to compare the Rage to Wac'em, Muzzy MX-3 & G5 Striker all 100 grain. It won't be scientific but I'm looking for the best flyers and penetration.
“If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it.” Fred Bear

DESERT ARCHER
Fawn
Fawn

Post by DESERT ARCHER » Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:33 pm

muzzy makes a very good broadhead that is bad to the bone i have shot them for a while but was having a problem with the blades being bent or damaged after only a few shot but they were the blue four blade one. i switched to the G5 montec and they are buy the best flying most strongest broadhead head out there and you can sharpen then when they dull out.

1azbowhunter
Fawn
Fawn

Post by 1azbowhunter » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:24 pm

i shoot rage but i would like to change to the ulmer edge!!its like rage on steroids!

lowcountrykiller
Fawn
Fawn

Post by lowcountrykiller » Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:32 pm

Rage 3 blade will beat any muzzy any day

marioq
Fawn
Fawn

Post by marioq » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:30 pm

I love the ease of the Rage and how accurate they are. Never tried the Muzzy so I can not comment. The elk I shot at 60 yards bled out the far side as she ran I could see the blood squirt.... It is an amazing Hole that is left.... Gonna try Shwacker this year as I like how they will penetrate bone... Work great on Rabbits!!!!!

Mularcher
4 point
4 point

Post by Mularcher » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:39 pm

1azbowhunter wrote:i shoot rage but i would like to change to the ulmer edge!!its like rage on steroids!

I know I’m comparing apples and oranges here but I’m down to Ulmers Edge’s & Wac’em Triton’s

Mech.
Ulmers Edge’s. 7075 Aluminum alloy ferrule being harder than the normal 6061, sharp chisel tip but the blades are single bevel and somewhat dull to the touch but I’m sure they are sufficient to cut flesh. Cut Dia. 1-1/2”. They fly exactly like field points out to 90 yards.

Fixed
Wac’ems. Nothing not to love, Hardened stainless steel, Extremely Sharp Dbl bevel Very nice broadhead, Cut Dia. 1-1/32”. I haven’t had the chance to shoot at distance.
“If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it.” Fred Bear

PhillyB
3 point
3 point

Post by PhillyB » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:57 pm

There is a guy on Archery Talk that built a "Ulmer Rage" as he calls it. It is the Ulmer Edge Ferrule with the 2" blades from a Rage. He claims it flies like a dart and has a 2" cut.

Somewhere in here if anyone is interested
http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthrea ... 1064522722

Here is a link to a BH test with all makes and models. Pretty extensive test so you can see how different heads stack up
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... TWHc#gid=0

BTW, I still vote Muzzy standard 100g. They have been around for a long time for one reason. They get the job done without fail. :thumb
The right thing to do and the hard thing to do are usually the same thing

Mularcher
4 point
4 point

Post by Mularcher » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:35 pm

Wow Nice idea that will take care of the dull blades the Ulmer's have.

PhillyB
3 point
3 point

Post by PhillyB » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:39 am

Mularcher wrote:Wow Nice idea that will take care of the dull blades the Ulmer's have.
With that setup, each broadhead would be worth about $20-$25 bucks!

That's an expensive head if you miss and it hits something hard... But to each his own.

I can still get 6 muzzy heads that are plenty sharp for $25. Hard to beat that :thumb
The right thing to do and the hard thing to do are usually the same thing