Utah General Deer Application Question

Talk anything related to bowhunting
PhillyB
3 point
3 point

Utah General Deer Application Question

Post by PhillyB » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:40 pm

Does is hurt my chances of drawing a archery tag if I choose to apply for a rifle/ muzzleloader tag with my four remaining options?

I want an archery tag but figured that since I had four spots open for choices I could put in for rifle in case I don't draw archery. Is this a good idea?
The right thing to do and the hard thing to do are usually the same thing

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Utah General Deer Application Question

Post by MuleyMadness » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:39 pm

If I understand your question correctly (?) NO is does not hurt your chances.

Putting archery as 1st choice and others after should have now effect. As least that's the way I see/read it.

But If you don't draw archery, I'm not sure what the odds are you'll get another option?

I put in for Rifle 1st choice last year, Archery 2nd choice. I drew NOTHING.

Thought for sure I was guaranteed archery tag, but no dice.

PhillyB
3 point
3 point

Post by PhillyB » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:59 pm

MuleyMadness wrote:But If you don't draw archery, I'm not sure what the odds are you'll get another option?
Are you referring to my chances of drawing a rifle tag as my 2-5 choice?
I know my chances will be minimized for a rifle tag, but as I mentioned, I am not concerned as much about a rifle tag as I am a a archery tag.

I just figured it better to make a choice than leave them blank. If I dont draw archery, then I still have somewhat of a shot to hunt, although it will be little to no chance with rifle or muzzleloader..

woody622
Fawn
Fawn

Post by woody622 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:12 pm

Compared to rifle/muzzeloader, drawing a Archery tag is a lot easier. They usually have plenty left over to buy even after the draw. You'll get it for sure.

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:02 pm

They usually have plenty left over to buy even after the draw. You'll get it for sure.
Not true, it used to be so...but NOT anymore. They were NONE left last year (at least Southern Region). Not sure about up North or other areas, but like I said I didn't draw a tag for Archery when I applied last year.

PhillyB
3 point
3 point

Post by PhillyB » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:27 pm

MuleyMadness wrote:
They usually have plenty left over to buy even after the draw. You'll get it for sure.
Not true, it used to be so...but NOT anymore. They were NONE left last year (at least Southern Region). Not sure about up North or other areas, but like I said I didn't draw a tag for Archery when I applied last year.
No tags leftover last year for archery. It was statewide and all tags went in the drawing.

firefighterbraun
3 point
3 point

Post by firefighterbraun » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:25 pm

PhillyB I put in for archery as my first choice and muzzleloader and rifle as second and third choice. It doesn't hurt your chances at all. Just a backup plan in case you don't draw one. Hope you get a tag! And Brett hopefully this year you'll get one since last year you didn't!

derekp1999
4 point
4 point

Post by derekp1999 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:13 pm

Won't hurt your chances at all. However, I wouldn't expect to draw anything other than your first choice, at least not since all the archery tags went in the draw last year. If General tags are processed the same way Limited Entry tags are (and the last couple years of my own applications leads me to believe that they are) then all applications are assessed for their first choice, then any remaining tags AFTER all the first choices are all drawn THEN it goes to second choice.
If you do want to draw your second choice you're best bet would probably be to select the Northern Region where tags have been available OTC, but there were so few left over last year even that's not a guarantee.
“The consequences of our actions are always so complicated, so diverse, that predicting the future is a very difficult business indeed.”
-Albus Dumbledore

PhillyB
3 point
3 point

Post by PhillyB » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:44 pm

Thanks to everyone for all the reply's.

Best of luck to everyone with the draw process. :thumb