Backcountry Bowhunting

Talk anything related to bowhunting
ARCHER11
2 point
2 point

Re: Backcountry Bowhunting

Post by ARCHER11 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:49 pm

I figured you would glass everything and anything in sight ive just heard some hype about how deer tend to bed and feed on certain facing slopes. It makes sense that their bedding and feeding patterns would depend more on the cover and feed than the direction of the face. Kind of a dumb question come to think of it haha oh well. Thanks to everyone for the insight! I really appreciate it!
I'm a member of PETA: People who Eat Tasty Animals

PhillyB
3 point
3 point

Post by PhillyB » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:18 pm

ARCHER11 wrote:I figured you would glass everything and anything in sight ive just heard some hype about how deer tend to bed and feed on certain facing slopes. It makes sense that their bedding and feeding patterns would depend more on the cover and feed than the direction of the face. Kind of a dumb question come to think of it haha oh well.
No not a dumb question at all. I have read multiple papers written by leading biologists that deer prefer northeast slopes, especially earlier in the year (aka bowhunting season).

But from my experience I have seen many deer feeding, laying, and all other activities on other slopes as well. Although many say to concentrate on certain slopes, never discount the other areas.

One thing that has helped me kill time during the day is, as the sun moves and changes the direction or length of the shadow, focus glassing about 20 yds into the shade from the line of shadow and light. You will catch deer moving to stay in the shade.
The right thing to do and the hard thing to do are usually the same thing

m gardner
Monster
Monster

Post by m gardner » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:44 pm

ARCHER11 wrote:I figured you would glass everything and anything in sight ive just heard some hype about how deer tend to bed and feed on certain facing slopes. It makes sense that their bedding and feeding patterns would depend more on the cover and feed than the direction of the face. Kind of a dumb question come to think of it haha oh well. Thanks to everyone for the insight! I really appreciate it!
There's one ridge that always holds deer and elk during the early part of archery season purely because there's always a breeze and it keeps the flies, mosquitos and gnats off the animals. So if it's buggy that's where I look.

ARCHER11
2 point
2 point

Post by ARCHER11 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:11 am

Thanks again for all the tips guys! You really cleared some stuff up for me!
I'm a member of PETA: People who Eat Tasty Animals