Antler growth

Talk anything related to bowhunting
therookie
Spike
Spike

Antler growth

Post by therookie » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:38 pm

I just have a few questions for the more experienced hunter. I hunt in southern Utah I'm pretty sure the area is called pavont. I was down there last weekend camping and seen over 50 deer none with antlers. Just courious when the deer start growing there antlers and when they should be at there peek? And does it depend on the area and habitat determines when they grow how fast they grow or is that determines by there genes?? Sorry kinda goofy questions.

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Antler growth

Post by MuleyMadness » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:49 pm

Welcome! End of July they are pretty much done growing. They ARE about 1/4 point in my area roughly (further south than you). But should be the same in your area. Both genetics and habitat determine growth. Hope that helps.

dahlmer
Monster
Monster

Post by dahlmer » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:29 pm

New antler growth begins almost immediately after a buck loses his antlers. Even the small bucks have enough antler for the most part now that it is obvious they're bucks. My dad saw a buck the other day that was out past is ears and forking both his g3's and g4's.

therookie
Spike
Spike

Post by therookie » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:36 pm

Thanks for the Info guys. So pretty much in my area I should of been able to see some antler?

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:29 am

So pretty much in my area I should of been able to see some antler?
Absolutely!

therookie
Spike
Spike

Post by therookie » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:55 am

Alright thanks for the info guys. Kinda sucks outta 58 deer I seen on one ride none had antlers. But the area has produced nice bucks year after year so hopefully I'm good :) once again thank you guys