2011 Coues Buck (pics)

Talk anything related to bowhunting
BOHNTR

2011 Coues Buck (pics)

Post by BOHNTR » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:37 am

Well, after 25+ consecutive years of chasing mule deer in August, I was prepared to hike into a wilderness in CO to make my annual quest. However, after a buddy of mine scouted the bowls I was going to hunt, he only saw a handful of bucks, with the biggest somewhere in the low 160’s. I wasn’t sure I wanted to back-pack in alone for 10 days with the opportunity to arrow a 160” class buck. Now don’t get me wrong, that’s a nice archery buck, but I have several in that class and if that’s the biggest in the bowls……well, it just didn’t get me pumped.

I’ve never dedicated a bowhunt for Coues deer and have always wanted to try for one. I’ve heard they are extremely difficult to get with a bow and arrow, so I decided to turn in my CO tag and chase some velvet clad Coues bucks since I already had a tag left over from my January hunt.

I contacted a buddy from Arizona (I know from P&Y) and he was up for my challenge. So Steven and I headed into the desert mountains of S/E Arizona in search of the gray ghost. I wasn’t going to be too picky on this hunt, as I really wanted to match wits with this specie of deer and get one. If I was to take a P&Y caliber buck (70") than it would just be icing on the cake.

The first few days were HOT (low 90's)……even at 5000’ elevation. I saw lots of deer a day (30-50) and a couple of dandies. What I didn’t realize, was these deer in this region don’t shed their velvet until late September, so they were still growing. With that in mind, I glassed up a GIANT buck late one evening that didn’t afford time for a stalk. This buck, once finished, may push the 120” mark, which is well above the B&C minimum of 110”. Here’s a photo of him taken through my spotting scope:

After four days of chasing these deer and two blown stalks……one of which I missed a pretty good buck but arrowed a perfectly placed unseen oak tree twig :), I was ready for some “BOHNTR luck”. I must say, these deer are TOUGH to bowhunt in August. I’ve never seen a more alert, skittish, elusive, and living on springs, type of deer. They definitely tested my bowhunting wits several times. On Wednesday morning, this buck gave me a 24 yard opportunity, quartering away. At the shot, the buck spun quickly and the arrow entered the rear hind quarter, breaking his femur, entering his chest cavity, and stopping on his opposite side shoulder. He went about 100 yards and was down.

My long quest to take a Coues buck with my bow was over…..not a big one mind you (about 65” as is), but a nice representative that I’m happy with. He really had some growing to do, and Steven guessed he’d be about an 80” 4x4 (counting browtines) once completed……either way, a beautiful deer in my opinion. Hope you enjoy and thanks for reading.

Packing him out:

BOHNTR )))-------------->

Bowhunting Editor-Western Hunter Magazine
Pope & Young Measurer
Boone & Crockett Measurer

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 2011 Coues Buck (pics)

Post by MuleyMadness » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:30 am

Great job Roy, that's a great buck. Crazy they take so long do grow velvet down there. :)

Quite the accomplishment for sure with your bow, if anyone can you do it...clearly you can.

Any other Mule Deer hunts lined up, got to admit I was excited to hear the CO report. Maybe next year.

waspocrew
4 point
4 point

Post by waspocrew » Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:10 pm

That's a great story. Congrats on an awesome hunt!

dahlmer
Monster
Monster

Post by dahlmer » Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:11 pm

Congrats on your first Coues Roy...they are definatley on my bucket list. Great buck to start with...you woudn't want to set the bar too high with you first one.

Mularcher
4 point
4 point

Post by Mularcher » Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:41 pm

Wow Congrats, Thanks for the story
“If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it.” Fred Bear

'Ike'
3 point
3 point

Post by 'Ike' » Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:22 am

Great job Roy and any time you're ready to go back and chase 'em again let me know... -%
2010 & 2011 Destroyer 340 - HardWoods HD
BlackGold Sights, RipCord Rest, CarbonTech Shafts, G5 and BuckNasty Strings

BOHNTR

Post by BOHNTR » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:08 am

Will do Ike......when you leave for AZ elk?
BOHNTR )))-------------->

Bowhunting Editor-Western Hunter Magazine
Pope & Young Measurer
Boone & Crockett Measurer

jdh
Spike
Spike

Post by jdh » Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:22 pm

aarrggghh,, those darn twigs.. They have saved many a critter. Good job Roy, on your first coues.

AGCHAWK
Monster
Monster

Post by AGCHAWK » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:58 pm

Nice pics and a great story Roy! CONGRATS on the Coues too!!!!!

bowcrazy
Spike
Spike

Post by bowcrazy » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:04 pm

Well done BOHNTR!! I have chased the elusive gray ghost every January for 5 years with stick and string, with nothing to show for it! You have my praise!! :not-worthy Just maybe one of these years I will be able to share a picture.
"Everyone has ability, but pride in performance makes the difference. Pride is developed from a winning tradition."-Lombardi 1964.