Wounded Elk Help

Talk anything related to bowhunting
ARCHER11
2 point
2 point

Re: Wounded Elk Help

Post by ARCHER11 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:41 pm

I wish it did but I wasn't able to turn anything up after a few days of looking. Ill be deer hunting in the area for the rest of the year so hopefully I will find him alive and maybe get a second chance but who knows... Thanks for everyones help! I may not have been able to get a bull out of it but I learned a lot and hope to avoid some mistakes I made in future hunts!
I'm a member of PETA: People who Eat Tasty Animals

Bowtech43
3 point
3 point

Post by Bowtech43 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:53 am

That is a bummer deal. I had a similar issue with a buck last year. Hit him in the liver I think. Bumped him from his bed and then nothing. I feel for you, it's a heartbreaking deal, but good job getting into that position in the first place. Hopefully you find him and have another chance at him soon.
Nothing like the great outdoors! :)

nuttinbutchunks
2 point
2 point

Post by nuttinbutchunks » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:41 pm

Had a similar experience opening day in American Fork Canyon. I shot a cow right in the chest from about 15 yards pushing a 440 grain Easton Epic 340 at 275 Ft/s! I thought "Dead elk"! She ran down the other side of the hill where I shot her and bedded down in the grass before I could see where she went. The grass ws so tall she disapeared, and I lost her. I went home to get my Weimaraner dog thinking he could track her down. While I was gone my son jumpted her from her bed, and she walked up a hill and vannished once again. I got back with my dog and my son told me what had happened, I followed a blood trail to where it dried up. I should have left and came back the next day. I would have found her dead. But like an idiot, I trailed her. Looking down at the grass tryuing to find more blood, my son walked right up on her and she thundered off.
Labor day I went back there to look around and fould a hind quarter bone assembly completely void of any meat. The critters got her ](*,) But that's all I could find. #-o
You can stand me up at the gates of Elko and I won't back down!