Wounded Elk Help

Talk anything related to bowhunting
ARCHER11
2 point
2 point

Wounded Elk Help

Post by ARCHER11 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:08 am

Hey everyone, Well I was thinking i'd be posting some success pics on here today but it hasn't ended the way I've been hoping. Yesterday I hit my first elk, a nice little 5 point bull on the Wasatch front, but I still haven't found him. I'm headed up today to look some more but wanted to see what you guys think... So it was a 45 yard broadside shot and my arrow passed completely through, I didn't see exactly where the arrow hit but it looked like it was right on target. I found my arrow completely covered in bright red blood so I know it wasn't a lung or gut shot and if it was a leg shot it seems like I would have hit bone, maybe not though. The blood trail was really easy to follow, not tons of blood but a consistent amount for about 150 yards until he bedded down. I waited for about 45 minutes before following the trail but I ended up bumping him from his bed. There wasn't a ton of blood where he bedded but there was some. After he jumped I waited more than 2 hours before following again and thats when it went down hill. After the blood in his bed I couldn't find any trace of blood. I was able to follow his tracks for about 50 yards but he got on a well used game trail and I lost his tracks. I think I hit him above the lungs and have heard of elk going for days with that kind of injury. What do you guys think? Anybody have a similar experience? I hardly slept last night thinking about it, any help would be awesome! Thanks guys
I'm a member of PETA: People who Eat Tasty Animals

BackPackerTX
Fawn
Fawn

Re: Wounded Elk Help

Post by BackPackerTX » Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:26 pm

Archer11,
I made that shot on a whitetail one time. above the lungs and below the spine. I followed a promising trail for the first 50 yrds. Then it stopped, grid search did not find her. Don't know what happened. I just blew the shot. The one thing striking me is your bull layed down after 150 yrds. Makes me think he was not feeling to good. In my tiny experience with elk they run to the next county after being bumped. Keep searching. Good Luck, We've all been there....

Top Gun
Spike
Spike

Post by Top Gun » Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:35 pm

Any update???

BOHNTR

Post by BOHNTR » Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:28 pm

Sounds like a high hit.....like in the back strap area. I hope you get on him again, but it's been my experience IF it is a back strap type hit, he'll be chasing cows in a few weeks.
BOHNTR )))-------------->

Bowhunting Editor-Western Hunter Magazine
Pope & Young Measurer
Boone & Crockett Measurer

ARCHER11
2 point
2 point

Post by ARCHER11 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:21 pm

Well tonight's search efforts didn't turn anything up. BackpackerTX I also found it strange that he bedded down so quick... he obviously wasn't feeling too hot! After bumping him I thought he'd just go another 100 yards or so and bed down again or bleed out but I can't turn anything up. I'm going back tomorrow to grid search a little more then glass late afternoon to see if I can find him out and about or maybe find sign of some crows or something. I was really hoping for some meat but its looking like that's out of the question for this year, hopefully I can at least get the antlers or find him alive and well

sneekeepete
Monster
Monster

Post by sneekeepete » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:52 am

BOHNTR wrote:Sounds like a high hit.....like in the back strap area. I hope you get on him again, but it's been my experience IF it is a back strap type hit, he'll be chasing cows in a few weeks.
+1

Good luck on your search and way to keep after him.
SNEEKEEPETE
OIF Vet.
Sgt Petersen USMC
Colossians 1:27,28

JDavid
Spike
Spike

Post by JDavid » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:53 am

That's a bummer Robby. I hope you can find it. Good luck if nothing shows up by the weekend and you would like help looking let me know.
Is someone with 10 million dollars any happier than someone with 9 million?

waspocrew
4 point
4 point

Post by waspocrew » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:16 pm

I hope that you're able to track him down! That does seem like it was a good hit if he bedded down quick, but maybe it just hit the backstraps. Hopefully you'll have some updates soon. Good luck!

ARCHER11
2 point
2 point

Post by ARCHER11 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:16 pm

Thanks guys ill keep you posted. I'm off to see what I can find tonight, hoepfully I can turn something up!

JLROOT
2 point
2 point

Post by JLROOT » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:06 pm

Any updates? I am hoping that "No News is Good News" applies here. [-o<
A 'Veteran' whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve is someone who, at one point in his/her life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'