South Dakota Bucks

Talk anything related to bowhunting
Envious of the West
Fawn
Fawn

South Dakota Bucks

Post by Envious of the West » Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:01 pm

We took our annual trip to South Dakota to chase mulies with our bows in September.........well it is almost December.....I guess I am a procrastinator!

The first day of our trip we tried a new area but it only turned up a BUNCH of whitetails, so the second day we decided to go back to an area where we had good luck in the past. Two hours into the day we spotted a pretty solid 4x4 in full velvet bedded with 5 other bucks. Not having a velvet deer yet, I decided to attempt a stalk on this deer. I was able to make it above him undetected, so I shed my boots, and slowly started to close the distance. I made it to the edge of the cliff and looked over, he was bedded 29 yds. below me. After what seemed like hours, he finally stood up; I drew back, released and watched the arrow disappear right behind his front shoulder. He and the 5 other bucks ran around a small finger, and after a short track job I had a full velvet 4x4 that was 22" wide.
mySDbuck.jpg
After we took care of my deer we were back at it, after another 2 hours we were able to locate a group of 11 bucks. Out of the 11 three of them were shooters. As you guys know, making a stalk on a group of deer that big is quite difficult. So after three blown stalks, and what felt like a marathon of chasing deer around South Dakota, my buddy made a perfect 45 yd. shot on this tall 4x4.
mikesSDbuck.jpg
The next day we went right back to the same spot to see if we couldn't locate the bucks we had seen the day before. Well after about 4 hours of glassing and moving from spot to spot we were able to turn up a great buck. It was VERY windy this day, and my uncle was able to stalk within 10 yds. of this buck and shoot him in his bed! He is an awesome 4x4, but it was really strange, on the left side of his jaw he had a huge growth the size of a softball.
sdbuck.jpg
Overall an awesome trip, nothing beats fresh back straps, good friends...........and oh yea, antlers don’t hurt either! :thumb
threeSDbucks.jpg
Thanks to all involved with this site, it is a great resource for hunting enthusiasts, both rookies and seasoned vet's!

treedagain
2 point
2 point

Re: South Dakota Bucks

Post by treedagain » Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:56 pm

you guys did great