Finally I enter the archery addiction

Talk anything related to bowhunting
antleredquest
Fawn
Fawn

Finally I enter the archery addiction

Post by antleredquest » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:41 pm

I just purchased my first bow and am stoked to get out and start shooting and hunting with it. Not that any of you really care that I personally got a bow but I am just too excited not to share it! I'm sure i'll be picking your guys mind for knowledge once I get out there and realize what little I know. But hey, a lot of the fun is in the journey

a_bow_nut

Re: Finally I enter the archery addiction

Post by a_bow_nut » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:46 pm

We know how you feel. I love shooting my bow and when you get in close enough to make a shot at an animal is on of the most incredible feelings around wether you get to make the shot or not.

Good luck and have fun.
Live to hunt, hunt to live.

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell
the difference.

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:20 am

i'm sorry, best thing you could do is sell it right now. all it's going to do is cost you money trying to do it as much as possible. it's a dirty bad habit that many , including myself, just cant quit. run why you still can.............

Tyewire
2 point
2 point

Post by Tyewire » Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:48 am

Congratulations and welcome to the club! There is nothing like bow hunting! Chuck Adams once said "Bow hunting begins where rifle hunting ends". This is so true. I have had more exciting stocks and close encounters with no shots that were better than some of my rifle kills.

Have fun, and practice, practice, practice! :thumb
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13

antleredquest
Fawn
Fawn

Post by antleredquest » Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:54 pm

My wife keeps telling me to sell the bow now and run... but I know better than that. I can't wait to add more memories and for the exciting stocks to come. I am getting a shooting lane set up in the backyard as we speak so that I can get as comfortable as possible with my shots for the hunt

nuttinbutchunks
2 point
2 point

Post by nuttinbutchunks » Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:04 pm

So, what did you buy? And pics if possible. I got into bow hunting 4 years ago and have all but quit rifle hunting. I've learned more about the animals I hunt, and have some pretty close and personal experiences too. I suggest you read Bernie Pelerite's "Idiot Proof Archery" so you learn to shoot with proper form, and not find yourself kicking bad habbits like I am. Archery is a dicipline.
You can stand me up at the gates of Elko and I won't back down!

m gardner
Monster
Monster

Post by m gardner » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:13 am

antleredquest wrote:I just purchased my first bow and am stoked to get out and start shooting and hunting with it. Not that any of you really care that I personally got a bow but I am just too excited not to share it! I'm sure i'll be picking your guys mind for knowledge once I get out there and realize what little I know. But hey, a lot of the fun is in the journey
Yes we do care that you got a bow. Welcome to the sport. The journey is alot like flying, long periods of boredom interspersed with moments of sheer panic. lol Just kidding, I love it all, even the tarantulas that crawled on me last archery elk season here in Az which made mid day naps an adventure. Then it was so cold that one morning my dentures froze in the cleaning tray. Did I mention the hail storm that nearly beat me to death? Then there was the elk I killed we're eating now. Ah the memories. :thumb

Milesaway
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Milesaway » Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:43 pm

You will have so much fun! This was my first year to actually try for a muley with my bow. I put on 5-6 stalks and got within as little as 20 yards of some good bucks! I had some HUGE bulls within 20-30 yards as well, but no shooting opportunities. Just make sure to NEVER take a shot that you don't feel confident about. I lost a 3x4 buck this year with a shoulder shot at 30 yards and a 5pt bull with a broadside shot at 35 yrds. Even though they were good shots, I didn't get much penetration with my arrow. Shoot a heavy arrow and aim straight! You'll have a ton of fun!

ARCHER11
2 point
2 point

Post by ARCHER11 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:05 pm

Awesome!! Welcome to the obsession! You're going to make a lot of mistakes and I mean A LOT!! Don't let them get you down. You can learn every time you hit the hills... If you keep that mindset you'll enjoy yourself and have some great experiences. If you're lookin for some help shoot me a PM. You're going to love it!
I'm a member of PETA: People who Eat Tasty Animals

derekp1999
4 point
4 point

Post by derekp1999 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:41 pm

Welcome to the party. It's a fun hobby/habit/obsession.
“The consequences of our actions are always so complicated, so diverse, that predicting the future is a very difficult business indeed.”
-Albus Dumbledore