New to the forum, archery elk in CO questions

Talk anything related to bowhunting
teej89
Fawn
Fawn

New to the forum, archery elk in CO questions

Post by teej89 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:32 am

Hey guys and gals! I'm new here, and am looking to gain some information on archery hunting elk in Colorado. A little about myself, I'm 23 years old working in arlington, VA as a structural engineer, bachelors/masters grad from Penn State. I've been hunting since I was legally allowed to and bow hunting for 10 years. I've killed plenty of animals with my bow, whitetails, some ground hogs, and an antelope in NE. I loved the country out there and my dad keeps telling me I need to get started hunting out west asap since I'm still young.

I am wondering what is the best GMU to look into for over the counter elk hunts? I'm not picky whether it be a cow/bull, I really want to get into this and I'm hoping with good resources this will be my first year. I saw the have OTC tags for the 2nd and 3rd rifle seasons, I wouldn't be against that but my main goal is to get out there in archery.

Also mule deer tags in Colorado, how do those work?

I apologize it's so vague, I'm just getting started, bought some mule deer and elk books recently and trying to learn as much as I can.

JBird
Monster
Monster

Re: New to the forum, archery elk in CO questions

Post by JBird » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:37 pm

Welcome. I can't tell you much about Colorado, I live in Utah but there are alot of guys here that can answer your questions. Here in Utah you can buy an archery elk tag OTC for some units and shoot a bull or cow.

TheHardWay
2 point
2 point

Re: New to the forum, archery elk in CO questions

Post by TheHardWay » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:30 am

Welcome, from another Penn Stater! Wildlife and Fisheries Science '03 here.

Most of Colorado has great opportunity hunts for elk, with only a handful of units designated as trophy units, which will take at least a few year's worth of preference points. You can buy an over the counter archery tag, which is good for either sex, and valid throughout much of the state, excluding those trophy units.

You are correct about the 2nd and 3rd rifle seasons being over the counter, however these tags are bull only. There are cow tags available too, but you have to draw them for these seasons. Depending on the unit, there are usually cow tags left over after the draw. In this case, you can purchase the leftover tags OTC.

Deer tags are completely draw only in Colorado. We have whitetail and mule deer in the state, however the whitetails are concentrated over on the eastern plains of the state only. A deer tag in CO is good for either species, and is unit(s) specific.

Hope this helps!