2012 Colorado Archery successes

Talk anything related to bowhunting
Well-Strung
Fawn
Fawn

2012 Colorado Archery successes

Post by Well-Strung » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:08 pm

Hello All, I'm a new forum member. No not really, but I could not get into my old acccount (MeatHunter). It's been a year or more and even my email is disabled that I once used. Good to see you all again. So I have a new handle and wanted to share some of my success this year bowhunting in my home state of Colorado. Enjoy I know I did!

I was lucky enough to have a trail camera this year and got some decent pics for the first time.

The first shots is from when I collected the camera that we posted up.

The first weekend was here and gone with a few chances at elk.

The second weekend I was moving in on a herd and decided this non typ would fill the freezer fine. He had other plans. This is the little funky bull that I MISSED a shot on. An aspen tree decided to save his life and stop my arrow, I was happy to have this pic of him. The one that got away. *For now* hoping to find him again when he's bigger.

Well-Strung
Fawn
Fawn

Re: 2012 Colorado Archery successes

Post by Well-Strung » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:09 pm

The next weekend I went up the mountain alone. I ran into a group elk with a nice 6x6. I followed the bull for about another mile up a drainage when he started to hang up. I snuck into position on the edge of a meadow and took cover. I decided at that time to call to him with a lost/distress calf/cow call and try to get him to come back for the rest of his group.

A few minutes of calling and dusk was setting in. I heard something behind me like I have never heard before, it was "huffing". Less then 50Yards away and coming quick. It was a black bear, a large one. He was pegged on my bush and he was B lining my calf calls in a hurry. No gun, knife is in the pack but I had a bear tag.. and I needed to get an arrow knocked BEFORE he got to me. It seemed like he cut the distance in half before I had knocked an arrow and hit the bear, front on. He was very unpleased by my actions and this only sped him up with a huge roar. It took 6 arrows in all to put this bear down. He fell 10 feet away while I was keeping a tree between us at which point I didnt move again until he expired. I spent a few minutes pacing and trying not to puke. I picked up arrows, multiple broken, took a picture with my headlight and started hiking down to meet my brother. It was a very long and dark walk back to camp that night. This is the picture I took with my very first bear.

Camping that night I was sure glad to have my family around who showed up with our mules to move the bear off the mountain early the next morning. Not that I got any sleep anyway.

We packed up the mules and started up the mountain. Everything was smooth and we got up there at day break.

He looked even bigger in the sunlight.

For comparison I am 6'5" and at 200lbs.

Well-Strung
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Well-Strung » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:10 pm

The bear was extremely old and showed signs. His teeth were nearly gone. The P&Y score is 19 12/16". He is 72" from nose to butt. 55" in the chest.

The last weekend of season I went up again alone. I got into the herd that first night, yet there was no bull. I followed the herd of 12-15 cows for the better part of 2 miles, before gaining advantage at dusk. I got in front of them, picked a cow. I shot the same arrow that passed through the bear, the herd scattered. I felt it was a good shot. It was, the arrow made a full pass thru on both shoulders. After a short blood trailing in the dark I decided not to push my luck and bump her. Early the next morning my brother and I hiked up and found her laying not 75Yards from the shot.

Unfortunately for us, the mules were 300 miles away. So we began the long pack to get her out.

With the season coming to end, I'm glad I was able to fill the freezer. I'm enjoying the burgers and steaks and can't wait for my new bear rug (although I'm considering a full mount). Thanks for letting me share!

brn2hunt
4 point
4 point

Post by brn2hunt » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:05 pm

Thats a big bear! And one heck of a story to go with it.
"Ne A La Chasse"

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:09 pm

Very cool story,I bet you were a little spoked after that bear story. He looks big!
Great pics too, thanks for sharing

JBird
Monster
Monster

Post by JBird » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:55 pm

Super sweet. That's pretty awesome.

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:01 pm

Wow that's a heck of a year, congrats on some fine hunting and thanks for coming back and sharing! As for the bear, good grief he is massive and that would scare the crap out of me...no pun intended. :)

hound_hunter
Monster
Monster

Post by hound_hunter » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:49 pm

What an experience! That bear is huge, so cool man! I'm sure that cow will be delicious, thanks for sharing.

Big Moose
Spike
Spike

Post by Big Moose » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:42 am

Very cool story and photos! That bear should make a great mount and the cow will look good in the freezer. Thanks for sharing your hunts.

Moose
Every hunting season you miss is one you can not make up

BigWave
Fawn
Fawn

Post by BigWave » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:21 pm

What a great season! Congrats!!