Monte Cristo Bow Hunt

Talk anything related to bowhunting
smoothy1975
Fawn
Fawn

Monte Cristo Bow Hunt

Post by smoothy1975 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:38 pm

Hey all, I'm from Hill AFB, UT and wanted to try somewhere new to bow hunt either Cow or spike. I am interested in trying the Monte Cristo area. Has anyone tried there? Would love to hear any pro's or con's from that area. I want to stalk and don't mind traveling a little further in to get away from the crowds. Thanks for any feedback.

-Eric

straight6
Fawn
Fawn

Re: Monte Cristo Bow Hunt

Post by straight6 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:44 pm

Monte Cristo is not a bad area, but you will have company during archery season. This area has a ton of road hunters. If you hike off the roads you will have a much better experience. It is limited entry so the elk herd is not hurting, but it can take some work to find them. Plenty of roads to get around. Do you have one area in mind up there? Monte Cristo is a fairly big area. There can be a few private land issues to deal with in some areas as well.

9er
Monster
Monster

Post by 9er » Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:22 pm

straight6 wrote: It is limited entry so the elk herd is not hurting, but it can take some work to find them.
What unit is it part of?

I always thought that the majority of it was open bull with a few cwmu mixed in.
Watch your top knot!

9er
Monster
Monster

Post by 9er » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:14 am

If your only after a spike or cow, there are a lot better areas to try.
Watch your top knot!

straight6
Fawn
Fawn

Post by straight6 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:16 am

When people refer to Monte Cristo, a lot are including the South Cache LE unit. That's why I asked if he had a specific area in mind. The southern part of the country is public mixed with CWMU's and the Northern part is South Cache. Like I said, its a big area when most people refer to Monte Cristo. And yes, I would agree there are better areas for a spike/cow.

smoothy1975
Fawn
Fawn

Post by smoothy1975 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:41 pm

I really appreciate the feedback, and I am interested in spike and cows for now. I feel like I need to earn my way to get a Bull. My main goal is meat, a rack would be amazing, but that will come later. I don't want to road hunt, I don't even like the sound of that. I want to hike in and away from the masses. Thanks again for your replies.

straight6
Fawn
Fawn

Post by straight6 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:42 pm

If you are just after meat, I would pick one of the other LE units in the state like Manti or Wasatch that have much larger elk herds. Better odds at getting a cow or spike.

9er
Monster
Monster

Post by 9er » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:58 pm

straight6 wrote:If you are just after meat, I would pick one of the other LE units in the state like Manti or Wasatch that have much larger elk herds. Better odds at getting a cow or spike.
+100000
Watch your top knot!