Anybody been Scouting?

Talk anything related to bowhunting
BOHNTR

Anybody been Scouting?

Post by BOHNTR » Sat Jun 14, 2003 9:29 am

I've been scouting a few Blacktail Deer spots and have liked what I've seen so far. Saw a 4x4 that will definately book, along with a few others. Deer were fat and showed obvious signs of a wet winter.

I'm leaving for northern Arizona/southern Utah during the July 4th for a week long scouting/camping trip. Taking the whole family, as they love going. This year I'll take my camera instead of my video and maybe I can post some pics.

Anybody else been out? What have you seen?

BOHNTR )))--------------->

BCBOY
Spike
Spike

Post by BCBOY » Sat Jun 14, 2003 1:39 pm

Been seeing some whoppers while in bear camp. Saw one last week that was well into his second forks and had trash starting on his backs. He ainb't going to be wide but man is he going to be tall. The amazing thing about him though is that he already has 3 inch eyeguards.
Saw a whopper of a whitey last week as well. Already a 5 point mainframe.
I'm going to be heading for the alpine in another couple of weeks. I plan on taking most of the summer off before fall guiding starts up. That will give me lots of time to locate some slammers in the high country.
"Trophy value is not always a measure of tine and beam. It may be just a measure of hard, solid hunting in which both man and deer conducted themselves well, so that neither was shamed." - John Madson, "Why Men Hunt"

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Sun Jun 15, 2003 9:53 pm

Here is what I saw/found over the weekend...
Caught wind of me..
I know there not the biggest bucks, but still fun to see.
Can't wait for your BOHNTR's pics as well as BCBOY to bust out some pics of a couple of Canadian Whoppers.

longbeard
Fawn
Fawn

Post by longbeard » Wed Jun 18, 2003 1:07 pm

We scouting two weeks ago in Northern California on our deer ranch and saw 11 different bucks. I tell you what I have not seen growth like that in a few years. One real nice four point with forked eyeguards on both sides. I can not wait until July 12th. Heres to waiting!

BOHNTR

Post by BOHNTR » Thu Jun 19, 2003 8:43 pm

longbeard:

Deer ranch, California?......Need a friend? :lol:

BOHNTR )))--------------->

longbeard
Fawn
Fawn

Post by longbeard » Fri Jun 20, 2003 8:57 pm

Bonthr,
I am going up to scout and hang stands on the 28th. I will take the video camera along and send you some pics. Zach

BOHNTR

Post by BOHNTR » Sun Jun 22, 2003 12:25 pm

longbeard,

You are the man! Can't wait to see them. Thanks.

BOHNTR )))-------------->

BOHNTR

Post by BOHNTR » Sat Jun 28, 2003 1:55 pm

I'm leaving Monday for northern Arizona and southern Utah for a week long scouting/camping trip with the family. Hope to find some nice bucks. Anything should be better than last year.

BOHNTR )))----------------->

BOHNTR

Post by BOHNTR » Mon Jul 14, 2003 3:32 pm

Just got back from the trip and was somewhat disapointed. The Kaibab is in trouble. The feed is the best I've seen in years, but there are not a lot of deer on the plateau. Very few does, no fawns, and even less nice bucks. I can't believe they are having another doe hunt there. In areas I usually see some slammer bucks, I saw none. The best buck I found was one that will go in the 170's.

I saw one slammer (180-190) in Utah, and a few in the 160 range. I didn't get any photos of them or video though. I did convert some video to a picture of a buck I videoed in Kaibab. The quality is poor because of the conversion, but you can see the antlers okay. He'll probably top out in the 160's. Hope you enjoy.

BOHNTR )))------------->

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sra ... b2a701.jpg

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Mon Jul 14, 2003 6:10 pm

Dang BOHNTR that doesn't sound good at all. The Kaibab is such a cool place and has always had nice bucks. I'm sorry you didn't see more. I agree with you about the doe hunt though, makes no since. Even if the quality of your photo wasn't great, still a way cool picture and a nice buck. Love that huge ponderosa behind em.

I just shot my new bow today, so I'm doing Archery for the 1st time this year. Thanks for the picture, good to hear from you again.

Take care
Brett