Rangefinders. How do you use yours?

Talk anything related to bowhunting
m gardner
Monster
Monster

Rangefinders. How do you use yours?

Post by m gardner » Mon May 19, 2008 7:49 pm

I spend lots of tome on the 3-D course at the club near my home and practice useing my rangefinder when shooting. The guys I see there just range the target down the open path then shoot. I shoot from new spots as often as possible and shoot through the brush. I try to find holes through the bushes and range the target and the bushes. More often than not I'll find that my arrow would strike brush between me and the target. I've a laser dot system and it will range through some fairly small openings. It's opened a whole new world of shooting because I don't need to guess if I'll strike the brush because I know how far away it is and if my matching pin is covering it while my shooting pin is on the animal I know I'll deflect and miss and must move to make the shot. This is probably just another one of my amazing breakthroughs to the obvious but I was wondering how many of you use this technique.
Mark

killerbee

Re: Rangefinders. How do you use yours?

Post by killerbee » Mon May 19, 2008 9:23 pm

here in oregon if you use a rangefinder on a 3-d shoot you are dissqualified[sp??] i dont really know why a person would use one?? it seems as if i know the range and its a controlled environment[ like a 3-d shoot] it would be pretty hard not to shoot a very high score?? i shoot a few a year and it's funny for me to see the"pro's" packing there glossy red bows, taking 10 minutes per shot, wanting complete silence while there shooting. it killes the purpose to me. i take my hunting bow, guess the range,and practise a hunting situation. ------ the only reason to go to 3-d shoots in my opinion??????

m gardner
Monster
Monster

Post by m gardner » Tue May 20, 2008 5:19 am

We have a 14 target 3-D practice course laid out that you can shoot anytime. It's a practice course not for IBO competition. We also have a 28 target Burlap animal course, a 28 target Field course, a broadhead tuning pit to 100 yards, a field hunter practice range (from 7 yards to 60 yards) and a practice range with an open shed roof covering the firing line (from 10 to 100 yards). It's a pretty big place. There's a campground (not included in memship)and showers too. Seventyfive dollars a year for membership covers it. Sweet deal.
Mark

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Tue May 20, 2008 7:08 am

i wish there was a place like that here! we have to travel to go to a shoot when they have one.1 -2 times a year it will be right here in my town but not to often. sounds like you have a great setup

azoutback
Fawn
Fawn

Post by azoutback » Tue May 20, 2008 9:01 am

Hey gardner, is that at usery mountain? If so I didnt know they had a broadhead range as well. :thumb

m gardner
Monster
Monster

Post by m gardner » Tue May 20, 2008 4:39 pm

AZ, yes it is Usury, they have a range behind the Sherrif's building. It's a sand pit and there are green markers in the ground at 10 yard intervals. No numbers on them though, could never figure that one out. You need to take your own block target. You going to shoot the summer league that starts tomorrow night?
Mark

azoutback
Fawn
Fawn

Post by azoutback » Wed May 21, 2008 9:21 pm

Wish I could. Wife is working nights for another month,and I am watching the kids. Bummer to because I live 20 minutes away! How long is the night league going to be going on?

9er
Monster
Monster

Post by 9er » Wed May 21, 2008 10:14 pm

m gardner wrote:We have a 14 target 3-D practice course laid out that you can shoot anytime. It's a practice course not for IBO competition. We also have a 28 target Burlap animal course, a 28 target Field course, a broadhead tuning pit to 100 yards, a field hunter practice range (from 7 yards to 60 yards) and a practice range with an open shed roof covering the firing line (from 10 to 100 yards). It's a pretty big place. There's a campground (not included in memship)and showers too. Seventyfive dollars a year for membership covers it. Sweet deal.
Mark
Ive shot that range a few times as well, pretty nice and fun, just gotta get there early/late and beat the heat!!

9er
Watch your top knot!