Aluminum
6%

Total votes: 17

#1DEER 1-I
Spike
Spike

Aluminum or Carbon

Post by #1DEER 1-I » Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:55 pm

I am going to buy new arrows soon and am wondering, all I have used is carbon. Which would you choose and why Carbon or Aluminum arrows?
"Built Ford Tough"--well that's just not tough enough.

Bustin Bucks
Fawn
Fawn

Re: Aluminum or Carbon

Post by Bustin Bucks » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:16 pm

Do you want an arrow to stay strait or one that bends?

m gardner
Monster
Monster

Post by m gardner » Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:22 am

Carbons! Aluminum arrows actually flex as they fly and oscillate. Carbons don't, that's why they penetrate so well and are so accurate and are easier to tune. They robinhood easier too because they fly straighter which I don't like so much. Arrows like Gold Tips are very durable compared to alumninum too. Gold Tips are what I shot to win the Sportsmans Warehouse 3 in 40 contest this year in Mesa, Az. It should be posted in a week or so on their website and I'll see how I did nationally. This is with a hunting rig, no target bows or arrows allowed. I got a $100.00 gift card which I reinvested in arrows almost immediately!!
Mark

AJ
Fawn
Fawn

Post by AJ » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:02 am

I have been bow hunting since 1980 and I have killed many critters with fiberglass, alunimum, carbon, and carbon/aluminum arrows. My preferance is the carbon/aluminum arrows like the ACC. They are durable and extremely straight. Yes they are more expensive but they would last me years. I used to go through a dozen aluminums per year. I have shot the same dozen ACCs for over 5 years. Just refletch them and they are good to go.

Carbon arrows have come a long way. Some of the higher end shafts from Gold Tip and Carbon Express are as straight as the ACCs were, and fly superbly. They are lighter and recover and stabilize very quickly. I would definately use premium carbon arrows from here out. All carbons are not equal. The cheaper arrows are not as straight as the high end ones. As the speed of the bows increases the more perfect the arrow is the better it will fly. Definately so with broadheads!!

6x6 bull
3 point
3 point

Post by 6x6 bull » Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:36 pm

I have to agree with AJ on this one. I have been using ACC's for quite sometime and find them great. I do have alot of Goldtip xt's and some GT pro's they both are excellent arrows also. Don't let anyone tell you that all carbon arrows are the same, they aren't .Cheap carbon arrows won't fly and better than bent aluminum. I have found that you can find some great deals on arrows on E-bay, If you can get them for a good price you can sometimes cut them to your length add new bushings and still get them alot cheaper than new.

m gardner
Monster
Monster

Post by m gardner » Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:24 am

When you talk straightness watch out because the archery industry seems to have adopted their own standard for measuring it. In geometric tolerancing it is measured unilaterally meaning you use one value. They are useing a bilateral value which means you need to double it to get a true idea of what you have. If your Gold Tip XT Hunters are marked +/- .003 it really means .006 straightness. I guess 3 looks better than 6 and talking to other shooters I've found out it works. We are pretty easy to fool. The arrows still shoot better than I can most days, and I shoot pretty well.
Mark

HighLander
Monster
Monster

Post by HighLander » Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:38 pm

Aluminum all the way...alot less painful!!!!
ALWAYS CHECK YOUR ARROWS BEFORE SHOOTING.......TRUST ME!!

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:04 pm

HighLander wrote:Aluminum all the way...alot less painful!!!!
thanks for the reminder! :)) you might have to bust out the old pics for this thread

southwind
Monster
Monster

Post by southwind » Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:35 pm

I am carbon all the way but Highlanders experience should be taken note by all. I have started watching wear and tear on my carbon arrows a lot more closely and then junk them if questionable.

bwtcharchr
Fawn
Fawn

Post by bwtcharchr » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:13 pm

hahahaha shall I shoot arrows or telephone poles?