Idaho Archery Elk

Talk anything related to bowhunting
GPWDeer
2 point
2 point

Idaho Archery Elk

Post by GPWDeer » Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:20 pm

Anyone have any success in the opening weekend?

My friend and I hunted Sunday and Monday. The elk were not responding to cow calls or bugling. It is still too early. We saw probably 24 bulls in two days and a few cows, but all were too far to pursue. We stalked two bulls (a 5x5 and 6x7) and they ended up blowing out of the country, but they ran across the road RIGHT BY MY TRUCK!

I will be hunting again this weekend, but I wondered if anyone had any luck this weekend?

One of the guys I went to High School with was in the same unit and we talked to him Sunday night. He stuck a big bull and was going back on Monday morning to try and locate it. He said it was in the 350" class. Another guy I know has a 6x7 hanging in his walk-in-cooler that his friend shot Sunday near Council. That is all I know.
Making the swtich to the strick and string! Watch out!

justinthebowhunter
Spike
Spike

Re: Idaho Archery Elk

Post by justinthebowhunter » Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:28 pm

Didn't get into any elk, but they are in there. Plenty of sign, we'll see what happens.

AGCHAWK
Monster
Monster

Post by AGCHAWK » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:29 pm

Keep at it my friend...and keep us posted.

I think you are right though. I believe we are still a bit early in the season but they should start responding in earnest shortly!

GOOD LUCK GPW!

justinthebowhunter
Spike
Spike

Post by justinthebowhunter » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:10 pm

It might be early but my brother in law in eastern Oregon had three great bulls going and two of them were already herded up. He had a 300 bull at 45 yards but couldn't seal the deal.

justinthebowhunter
Spike
Spike

Post by justinthebowhunter » Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:10 am

They are starting to talk, called in a 6 point tonight but ran out of daylight at 70 yards. Going after him in the morning. Anyone else in Idaho had luck?

GPWDeer
2 point
2 point

Post by GPWDeer » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:07 pm

I was up on Saturday and called in two other archers...

Monday we hunted again, we found some amazing country with all the fixins for a honey hole, but it was only missing one thing. The only thing missing was the ELK! We did see one cow and heard another elk with her, but never saw it. They got up in front of us at 30 yards and were on a dead run in no time.
Making the swtich to the strick and string! Watch out!