Round chambered while hunting?

Talk anything related to Rifle hunting

When hunting do you WALK with a round in the chamber?

Poll ended at Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:04 am

yes
68%
no
5%
both
27%

Total votes: 22

9er
Monster
Monster

Re: Round chambered while hunting?

Post by 9er » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:12 am

WOW im in the minority here (???)
Watch your top knot!

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:14 am

It depends, the answer is YES and NO for me. I often do chamber a round when I'm close to or seeing big game. I often don't chamber a round when I hiking into an area or not seeing much game. It's helped me at times and also hurt me at times, thinking I had a round chambered only to hear the 'click'. :)

But I'd rather err on the side of caution then danger which could lead to serious injury. Just me.

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:14 am

9er, I'm actually in your shoes A LOT. I wanted to vote BOTH option, but voted NO.

sneekeepete
Monster
Monster

Post by sneekeepete » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:18 am

I understand unloading your rifle in dangerous terrain or if the hunter is inexperienced but why not have a round in the chamber otherwise?
SNEEKEEPETE
OIF Vet.
Sgt Petersen USMC
Colossians 1:27,28

9er
Monster
Monster

Post by 9er » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:28 am

sneekeepete wrote:I understand unloading your rifle in dangerous terrain or if the hunter is inexperienced but why not have a round in the chamber otherwise?
sneekeepete

i guess the reason i dont chamber a round is more out of the things ive been taught than anything, also i hunted off of horses quite a bit, therefore i never have a round chambered while riding

i really thought that the majority of people hunted without a round chambered, guess i learned something today
Watch your top knot!

sneekeepete
Monster
Monster

Post by sneekeepete » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:39 am

I hear ya 9er. I don't feel there is anything wrong with it I just have chosen to keep a round chambered unless I the sittuation dictates otherwise. I also keep my chamber empty when on a horse, ATV, or vehicle of course. This is definatley an interesting thread lol
SNEEKEEPETE
OIF Vet.
Sgt Petersen USMC
Colossians 1:27,28

wingmaster36
2 point
2 point

Post by wingmaster36 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:38 pm

wingmaster36 wrote:I carry a round in the chamber when in the field. That is why I carry a Ruger 77 MKII with the 3 position positive type safety. When engaged, it locks the firing pin by fitting into a mortise in the cocking piece. It is IMPOSSIBLE for it to slip off the sear and fire. It is almost too safe with gloves on because it fits so flush that it is not easily pulled onto the fire position. I would rather deal with that inconvenience than to discover that it was accidentally bumped on fire while tracking up a hill in remote country. A two position trigger blocking safety simply does not do this. I'm not knocking your 700's, Tikka's, Brownings, etc... I'm merely expressing my reasoning for my choice. Ive owned just about every type of modern bolt rifle and chose the Ruger 77 as my go to big game rifle specifically for the positive safety feature.

Wyatt
For clarification purposes: I only carry mine loaded with emphasis on "carry" like as in my hands. I do not carry my rifle loaded in the scabbard, whether on a horse or atv.
"The things that are over my head are under God's feet." Adrian Rogers

crunch14
2 point
2 point

Post by crunch14 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:48 pm

Yeah if I'm in/on a vehicle it has to be unloaded, both magazine and chamber per Wa. law. I do always keep the action open and a round in my hand just in case.

It's nice to see that noone has attacked differing opinions too. Good debate, and I added the option for BOTH on the survey.
Just remember they call it hunting not finding. It's all about the stories.
OIF vet 2003 SAPPERS LEAD THE WAY

crunch14
2 point
2 point

Post by crunch14 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:54 pm

9er wrote:WOW im in the minority here (???)
Thats ok I thought I was going to be in the minority.
Just remember they call it hunting not finding. It's all about the stories.
OIF vet 2003 SAPPERS LEAD THE WAY

NONYA
Monster
Monster

Post by NONYA » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:01 pm

I have seen some great trophys escape because the hunter wasnt mentally prepared to chamber a round quick enough,I keep the rifle shouldered pointing straight up,if anything were to happen it is always pointed in a safe direction.