Round chambered while hunting?

Talk anything related to Rifle hunting

When hunting do you WALK with a round in the chamber?

Poll ended at Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:04 am

yes
68%
no
5%
both
27%

Total votes: 22

MuleyHunterNV
Spike
Spike

Re: Round chambered while hunting?

Post by MuleyHunterNV » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:35 pm

Unless im on dangerous ground, I always have a round chambered. I agree that this can be unsafe, but I take extreme caution with my guns.

MuleyHunterNV
Spike
Spike

Post by MuleyHunterNV » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:43 pm

crunch14 wrote:HAHA A friend of mine had a run-in with the PETA folks while on an Elk hun near Chehalis about 10 years ago. Believe it or not they got all camo'ed up and would follow the hunters around blowing airhorns and ringing bells to scare the Elk away.
That is unbelievable. I would be furious if someone did that to me, especially since in Nevada, you can only get an elk tag every 10 years. Im pretty sure that is illegal in NV also.

derekp1999
4 point
4 point

Post by derekp1999 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:53 pm

I have a steady group of guys I hunt with and have no problem with them or me having one chambered while were walking, still hunting, sitting, etc. Typically we chamber a round as soon as we shut the truck doors.
“The consequences of our actions are always so complicated, so diverse, that predicting the future is a very difficult business indeed.”
-Albus Dumbledore

Twitch
Spike
Spike

Post by Twitch » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:24 pm

Always have one chambered when we are walking around. Only time I don't is when we are in a vehicle. I also have my concealed permit and always have one in the chamber when I am concealing.

Twitch
Spike
Spike

Post by Twitch » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:28 pm

Muley Shed Freak wrote:Absolutly not anymore. At least not after I heard of the Model 700 Remingtons and there need to fire without pulling the trigger. I wait till I'm ready to shoot to put a round in, for safety sake.
I was really stoked to get a 700 this year too, but after reading a lot of articles about that problem I have to start all over on my research for a different Make/Model.

Der Aulte Jaeger
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Der Aulte Jaeger » Sun Dec 26, 2010 6:14 pm

Looking back over this thread, the folllowing came to mind. Here in Wyoming as in several states you can carry a firearm loaded in vehicles as well as out legally. There is usually great care taken to point out to inexperienced hunters to unload the chamber and remove the magazine before crossing fences. We also find that in some areas around the world the hunter can't even carry his or her own gun until the guide gives the OK to shoot. In short there's a lot of seemingly contrary advice being
offered and it's usually in the interest of safety. Now to the subject at hand. We as hunters must work overtime to ensure safety procedures above reproach. Never place your finger on the trigger until you are ready to take the shot. Always make sure you have a clear path to and beyond your game without skylighting the animal. Always check the function of your firearm such as safety, etc.
Be sure that you are ever observant for the younger or less experienced hunter. ... Always control your muzzle. Never unload or load while in or even near a car as the majority of gun shot accidents take place during loading and unloading and while objects to enhance richochets are around. Given all that it seems to be telling us all to always err on the side of safety and that in doing that there may circumstances that will allow us doing one thing one time while at another time it may be edging toward that unsafe area. Carrying chambered certainly falls into that baileywick.

I applaude those folks that always carry unchambered but also see the rational to carrying chambered, especially in Big Bear country! Good discussion folks!
der Aulte "Jäger"
Chuck S

"I've traveled many roads and some weren't paved!"

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/

southwind
Monster
Monster

Post by southwind » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:50 pm

Old post but worth commenting on. I have no problem having a cartridge in the chamber and then treat it as such. You know the drill, keep it on safe pointed in a safe direction open chamber when crossing fences etc.... To me it is no different than upland hunting. How many people walk around without a shot shell chambered? I don't know anyone who doesn't. It could be argued that it is more dangerous to have someone anxiously trying to chamber a round in the heat of excitement than to already have one chambered.

Lunder
Spike
Spike

Post by Lunder » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:54 am

I agree with the majority here. I chamber one when leaving the vehicle. There's always exceptions to this like most people have already pointed out such as obstacles in the terrain, young / inexperienced hunters, etc. It's important to be extremely conscious of your surroundings and exactly where the muzzle is pointed. As a rule of thumb I like to "test" my safety mechanism every time I take my guns out by putting a round in the chamber, making sure the safety is on, pointing in a safe direction, and pulling the trigger.

waspocrew
4 point
4 point

Post by waspocrew » Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:10 pm

Old post, but definitely worth commenting on. I feel the same, I have no problem with walking with a round in the chamber while hunting. I figure that I am hunting once I leave the truck. A shot opportunity can always present itself at anytime and I don't want to miss it. I feel that I keep great control of where my muzzle is and if I'm hunting with someone else, greater caution is taken.

JimmyB
Spike
Spike

Post by JimmyB » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:39 pm

waspocrew wrote:Old post, but definitely worth commenting on. I feel the same, I have no problem with walking with a round in the chamber while hunting. I figure that I am hunting once I leave the truck. A shot opportunity can always present itself at anytime and I don't want to miss it. I feel that I keep great control of where my muzzle is and if I'm hunting with someone else, greater caution is taken.
I'm the exact same way. Once I leave camp, get out of the truck, or jump off the 4 wheeler I chamber a round cause you never know when a shot opportunity could present itself, it could present itself 50 yards from the truck, camp, or 4 wheeler and I'd rather be ready to shoot then rush trying to chamber a round and take a shot cause I feel you're more likely to have an "accident" if your rushing things not thinking with lots of adrenaline flowing through ya from the sight of the rack! I know my firearms very well and know how to properly and safely handle them. I've always been told a firearm is only as safe as the person handling it.
Shooter McGavin