Round chambered while hunting?

Talk anything related to Rifle hunting

When hunting do you WALK with a round in the chamber?

Poll ended at Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:04 am

yes
68%
no
5%
both
27%

Total votes: 22

crunch14
2 point
2 point

Round chambered while hunting?

Post by crunch14 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:34 am

I was at a Daytona 500 party today and during the long red flags the subject of hunting came up. One of the guys there told me about a nice buck he almost bagged this year. But it took off when it heard him chamber a round. He said he had spotted it from accross a valley and stalked to within 100ish yards. My question to him was, "Why a round wasn't chambered from the get-go?" The reply was, "You'd have to be crazy to walk around with a round in the chamber! It might go off acccidentaly and kill you or someone else."

In the interest of a fun party I didn't press the issue, but am thoroughly perplexed by that attitude. Personally I (and every one I hunt with) load up and put one in the tube before leaving the truck/camp. Yes I unload if crossing a stream, or when on dangerous terrain such as steep shale or if I need to do some bouldering or rock climbing etc. But other than that I'm always gonna be ready. Many times you may only have a couple second window to make a decision and fire.

So my question to you is this: Do you put one in the tube before leaving the truck or camp?

Thanks.
Last edited by crunch14 on Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Just remember they call it hunting not finding. It's all about the stories.
OIF vet 2003 SAPPERS LEAD THE WAY

hound_hunter
Monster
Monster

Re: Round chambered while hunting?

Post by hound_hunter » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:57 am

I nearly always stay out of this discussion because so many people seem to get worked up over it, but you seem to be the same as me here so I might as well show my support.

I would say 80% of the time (because it's not always right from the truck) I have a round chambered. Like you, I always unload if I come upon any sketchy terrain. The whole argument of killing yourself or someone else I find pretty ridiculous, but I guess not everyone practices superb muzzle control. I know I am always extremely cautious of where my muzzle is in relation to myself, others, and I do consider and avoid impacts that are more prone to ricochet and what not. I feel extremely confident in myself and the close friends and family of mine that I regularly hunt with to carry with a round chambered. I have taken and introduced friends to my lifestyle and I never allow them to carry chambered until we're set for a shot, but that's just me.

Bring on the ridicule now, I'm sure more than a few of you have some problems with this.

hound_hunter
Monster
Monster

Post by hound_hunter » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:06 am

I suppose I should also say, this has paid off several times! Only once for typical North American hunts (Dads Mule Deer in Utah 2004) but It's worth it to me to be prepared.

The question might come up "Well don't you think it takes away from the hunt to have to take a quick shot at an animal you didn't get to spot, stalk, and gain a certain sense of pride/respect for?"
While I understand where this might come through someones mind I don't think it's correct because I'm sure most of us have done the foot work and failed many times for many years. The respect I (and I'm assuming most of you) have for the animals I hunt is already significant and I don't mind an "easy kill" if the opportunity at a trophy animal is there.

It's understandable not everyone has the same opinions, That diversity is the great thing about these forums. Hopefully we get some good input on this from a wide variety of people. Don't be shy!

crunch14
2 point
2 point

Post by crunch14 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:02 am

Thanks for the well thought out reply Hound Hunter :thumb . I carried condition 1 (round in chamber) in Iraq and never had an accidental discharge. Most accidental discharges, in my experience, come when loading or clearing a weapon. I too practice strict muzzle control.

In regards to people thinking the quick shot being "disrespectful" I'd have to disagree. But I also have practiced for such an occasion both in the military with pop-up targets out to 300 meters and when I go shooting recreationaly. We'll put up a few targest at different ranges and either have the rifle slung, holding it, on a bench etc. Then at a random moment my buddy will say "DEER" and a target (we'll number them) to practice for just such an event. It go my deer for me this year. With the 3pt Minimum rule we have, if a deer (or Elk if I have spike only) pops out within 100 yards I am confident I can make the shot within about 3 seconds. If it's farther you'll usually have time to get a rest. If someone doesn't practice for such an opprutinity I can understand the conflict though. Everyone has to understand and respect their individual limitations.
Last edited by crunch14 on Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

9er
Monster
Monster

Post by 9er » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:07 am

I never chamber a round until im ready to shoot!! I figure if i cant quickly chamber a round and get a shot off, the animal wins. But to have round chambered and walking around all day, NEVER.

The only time i ever chamber a round and not shoot is when im moving in for a close shot(ie under 150 yards) and the animal knows that something is up and ready to take off.

This is gonna be an interesting thread, im interested to see what others think

9er
Watch your top knot!

wingmaster36
2 point
2 point

Post by wingmaster36 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:18 am

I carry a round in the chamber when in the field. That is why I carry a Ruger 77 MKII with the 3 position positive type safety. When engaged, it locks the firing pin by fitting into a mortise in the cocking piece. It is IMPOSSIBLE for it to slip off the sear and fire. It is almost too safe with gloves on because it fits so flush that it is not easily pulled onto the fire position. I would rather deal with that inconvenience than to discover that it was accidentally bumped on fire while tracking up a hill in remote country. A two position trigger blocking safety simply does not do this. I'm not knocking your 700's, Tikka's, Brownings, etc... I'm merely expressing my reasoning for my choice. Ive owned just about every type of modern bolt rifle and chose the Ruger 77 as my go to big game rifle specifically for the positive safety feature.

Wyatt
"The things that are over my head are under God's feet." Adrian Rogers

sneekeepete
Monster
Monster

Post by sneekeepete » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:41 am

Before I left home I never had a round in the chamber unless I was closing the distance. Once I left home and after a couple deployments I can't force myself to not have a round in the chamber??? I guess it is just one of those things but it has paid off for me hunting just like it does in other sittuations.
SNEEKEEPETE
OIF Vet.
Sgt Petersen USMC
Colossians 1:27,28

crunch14
2 point
2 point

Post by crunch14 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:47 am

I hear that Pete.

waynedevore

Post by waynedevore » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:34 am

The few times I have somebody along with me on a hunt [That would be somebody I'm breaking into Muley hunting] I won't allow chambered rounds until the stalk has been made. When I'm hunting by myself I have a chambered round unless i'm on dangerous ground.

NONYA
Monster
Monster

Post by NONYA » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:10 am

Without a chambered round you greatly increase the time it takes to get on target and make what could be a one time shot opportunity,not to mention the sound you make while doing it.I chambed a round the second I leave a vehicle,its very rare that I hunt an area not populated by grizz,that in itself is enough reason for me. :-k