Alaska Bear Hunt Bullet Suggestions

Talk anything related to Rifle hunting
BIG R
4 point
4 point

Re: Alaska Bear Hunt Bullet Suggestions

Post by BIG R » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:06 pm

No matter what bear your hunting as long as your shot placement is where it should be the 06 is all you will need :thumb

Springville Shooter
Monster
Monster

Post by Springville Shooter » Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:17 pm

BIG R wrote:No matter what bear your hunting as long as your shot placement is where it should be the 06 is all you will need :thumb
+1....so practice like your life depends on your marksmanship and then go drop 1000+ pounds of meat on the ground with one well-placed 180TSX. Be sure to get pics of the bullet....if it doesn't pass all the way through.-------SS
"Only accurate rifles are interesting"-----Col. Townsend Whelen

skysthelimit
Spike
Spike

Post by skysthelimit » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:14 pm

I will be sure to take pictures of the hunt and bullet if it doesn't pass all the way through. We will be hunting black bears in South East Alaska. Average skull with the outfitter measures 19 1/2 inches with some bears hitting the 21 inch mark. Should be a good time. I hope to get a color phase bear! Leave on May 12th and back on May 21st.

skysthelimit
Spike
Spike

Post by skysthelimit » Tue May 11, 2010 3:56 pm

Leaving tomorrow for the hunt!! Should be a good time.

skysthelimit
Spike
Spike

Post by skysthelimit » Sat May 22, 2010 2:03 pm

Just got home from the hunt late last night. I shot a great black bear. I will post story and pics later. It squared out at 7 ft 8 in and the skull is 19 1/2. I shot it the last night. Thank you for your help on bullet suggestions. When I go again I will take a bigger gun, although my 30 06 knocked him down first shot. Those bears are tougher than most people think. They can take a lot of lead.

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Sat May 22, 2010 3:04 pm

Just got home from the hunt late last night. I shot a great black bear. I will post story and pics later. It squared out at 7 ft 8 in and the skull is 19 1/2. I shot it the last night. Thank you for your help on bullet suggestions. When I go again I will take a bigger gun, although my 30 06 knocked him down first shot. Those bears are tougher than most people think. They can take a lot of lead.
Cool beans, look forward to the pics/story...sounds big!