RIFLES+ME=CONFUSED.

Talk anything related to Rifle hunting
Huge29
2 point
2 point

Re: RIFLES+ME=CONFUSED.

Post by Huge29 » Mon May 03, 2010 11:33 pm

I like the 7 mag too, however you mentioned that you will primarily be after coyotes and fox. Well, there is really only one obvious caliber that can do both with an emphasis on the smaller varmints, that of the .243. It certainly is not the best for varmints and far from the best for big game, but overall can do both reasonably well. I hit a fox with my 7 mag simply because I was on a family farm where cats are disappearing and here comes the fox, knowing no deer were around----I shot it from about 50 yards with a 175 gr hollow point. As you can imagine, Mr. fox multiplied. If you are into the pelts, it is simply not an option with the big boys. Good luck! If I were you, I would look at the budget and buy just what you want right now for what you will do the most now, sounds like varmints. For that, get the .223 or 22-250 and down the road a little get a 7mag or 30-06; I have all of these and each one is for a different scenario of hunting. You just have to figure out the story of how to justify it to the wife...that is the only hard part, choosing and saving money is much easier than obtaining permission. Besides, they are a great investment if you know how to buy them right.

amp713
2 point
2 point

Post by amp713 » Wed May 05, 2010 9:22 pm

Huge29 wrote:I like the 7 mag too, however you mentioned that you will primarily be after coyotes and fox. Well, there is really only one obvious caliber that can do both with an emphasis on the smaller varmints, that of the .243. It certainly is not the best for varmints and far from the best for big game, but overall can do both reasonably well. I hit a fox with my 7 mag simply because I was on a family farm where cats are disappearing and here comes the fox, knowing no deer were around----I shot it from about 50 yards with a 175 gr hollow point. As you can imagine, Mr. fox multiplied. If you are into the pelts, it is simply not an option with the big boys. Good luck! If I were you, I would look at the budget and buy just what you want right now for what you will do the most now, sounds like varmints. For that, get the .223 or 22-250 and down the road a little get a 7mag or 30-06; I have all of these and each one is for a different scenario of hunting. You just have to figure out the story of how to justify it to the wife...that is the only hard part, choosing and saving money is much easier than obtaining permission. Besides, they are a great investment if you know how to buy them right.
hahahahahahahahaha only one comment on that besides thanks. and it is "SINGLE" lol
Do not follow where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Muley Shed Freak
3 point
3 point

Post by Muley Shed Freak » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:24 pm

I'd go for the all round big caliber and get a .300 Win Mag. Easy to find ammo for and prices are good. Easy to reload in the future if you ever get into that. You can kill anything in North America with it and not have to worry if you have enough bullet or velocity to do the job. From Moose and Bears to Coyotes and Fox. Gets the job done. Depending on how much your budget is.. out of the box you can't beat the Remington .300 Win Mag in the Sendero. Awesome! Get a good scope to go with it and you will be deadly out and beyond 500 yards.. with lots of practice of course.. :)

homebru_trout
Fawn
Fawn

Post by homebru_trout » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:39 am

+1 for the .243

If you take Elk out of your requirements list or it's just a "nice to have", the .243 is your round. .243 is an excellent varmint cartridge and with the right bullet is good deer medicine. You say you currently own a Savage .22. The jump to a 300WM or similar belted cartridge is going to get your attention for sure...and even the venerable 30-06 can pack a whallop with heavier bullets.

The .243 is mild on the recoil, the ammo is cheaper than other options and just as readily available as the 30-06 and .270 options. Above all you are going to want to be accurate and that means practicing a lot. I personally am more likely to practice if I know I'm not going to get the snot kicked out of me an hour or two at a time. No sense in developing a flinch with your new rifle.

All that being said, the fine folks in this post have given you a lot of good options. If Elk is a definite yes, then 30-06 or 270 gets the nod. For my money, I'd avoid the jump to belted mags due to ammo expense and the whack in the shoulder.

Just my $0.02.

amp713
2 point
2 point

Post by amp713 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:12 pm

well i do hunt with muzzelloaders so i dont think the recoil should be to bad in comparison....
Do not follow where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Der Aulte Jaeger
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Der Aulte Jaeger » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:26 pm

Over the years, I played the Magnum game #-o and found as wisdom overcame the enthusiasm of youth, I prefer less recoil for several reasons including pain, noise, faster second shot and more. Recoil is easy to figure as it's basically bullet weight and the amount of powder versus the weight of the rifle. 7mm mags, 300 Win and Weatherby mags are powder hungry and recoil beasts. Try a day of practice shooting 100 rds or so with the big mags versus a 243 and see which gives bests accuracy. :thumb

I have an 06 as a primary rifle now and I'll freely admit I much prefer the .308, same bullet, less powder and almost the same velocity! The clincher between the two is that bigaboo, recoil! :>/ My carbine is a very light 30-06 and a full blown 180 gn bullet slaps the snot out of you! ](*,) I had a similar weight carbine in .308 that was much more pleasant to shoot. The long action rounds are just not as efficient as the short action rounds and you'll get a much more pleasant and thereby, practice inviting round, by going to a.308 versus the 30-06; a 7mm-08 over the 280 Rem Express; or a .257 Roberts over the 25-06; and the nice thing is you don't lose much at all! In short steer clear of the Mags, look hard at short action rounds such as the .257, the 7mm-08 and the .308 or even the old 7x57 Mauser, an almost identical round to the 7mm-08. :)
der Aulte "Jäger"
Chuck S

"I've traveled many roads and some weren't paved!"

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/

The Ox
Monster
Monster

Post by The Ox » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:58 pm

if ya wanna shoot cheaper ammo id say 30-06 or even 308 . if ammo price isnt as big a factor 7mm or 300 win

if your looking for a good gun for a good price the savage rifles are very accurate and affordable.

Twitch
Spike
Spike

Post by Twitch » Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:59 pm

If the OP is still looking for advice. OP if you are only going to seldomly hunt elk, I would go with the .270. If you can become a good shot with a .270 you should be able to take an elk at 300 yards without a problem. The .270 is the best deer cartridge IMO and it is slightly undersized for Elk when comparing to the big bores, but it does its job. If you are going to use the rifle for primarily elk hunting, I would definitely go with a short mag.

BikerRN
Fawn
Fawn

Post by BikerRN » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:39 am

My advice, FWIW:

Go with a .270 or a .308.

Of those two, I like the .308, but that's just me. 30-06 is the traditional "do it all caliber" for North America but I'm finding that having a modest variety of calibers would be best, depending on what one hunts. I myself have a .22 LR, .223, .308, and to finalize the range I'm considering a 9.3x62.

Biker

DeadI

Post by DeadI » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:20 am

I have a really nice Weather by 300 WIN Mag I will sell you. Great gun for deer and elk. And you can't beat the price either. 450 $. It has a muzzle brake installed and leupold rings and base.
Deadi