300 WIN MAG...testing a new round..Results added!

Talk anything related to Rifle hunting
PLP
Spike
Spike

Re: 300 WIN MAG...testing a new round..Results added!

Post by PLP » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:31 pm

Well,,sad news,and good news I guess.I did get the big boar.Evidently during the confusion of 12+ hogs running in all directions,and trying to pick off a 2nd hog(taking my eyes off of the initial target) #-o I had not noticed that he went in a totally different direction than I thought..

First off..The bullet hit perfectly.He ran 165yds from where I shot him.When I looked for the exit I found an "X" where the bullet came out.The shield was so thick it sealed up behind the bullet leaving no blood trail.This is typical.However this was not a typical boar.I have a picture of a 2 liter bottle standing up and he is wider {shoulder to shoulder} than the bottle is tall.He was larger than any other boar I have taken.The point being..that I have shot boars 30-50lb smaller than him at point blank(2ft) for finishing shots..in their shoulders through their shields with winchester 150gr power points in my 30-06,and with 12ga slugs..and seen them not pass through.So this bullet definately penetrates deeper.

It's so hard to blood trail a big boar that has been hit like this.I am upset because I was within 50yds of him at one point,and didn't know it.I took some pics of him,but I am not going to post them because he was decomposing.If anyone wants to see I will pm it to them.

So the barnes 130gr TTSX is 5 for 5.This is the 2nd hog in 23 years that I have not found after making a fatal shot on them.I am very upset with myself...I just don't see how the bullet could be blamed.It is very hard for any bullet to make it through a big boar this size(the TTSX did though),much less make a big exit wound through a tough shield.

Hopefully I will get some more results next week.

PLP
Spike
Spike

Post by PLP » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:16 pm

I went out this afternoon after I got off at 3pm.At 6pm we had a rain shower,and I knew it would get them moving.The temp today was 97 with a heat index of 108!I just didn't expect it to happen so soon.I saw a nice sow with about 7 or 8 smaller ones.I slipped in position,and had 2 walking in my lap so I decided to pull a double.They were side by side.The one in the back stopped first and put his head down,I put the crosshairs behind his head,and then the closest one blocked my view..when her shoulder hit the crosshairs I pulled the trigger..Both hogs DRT!

It went through both of them.Absolutely devastating.I'm not sure if it is ok to post the holes on these,but I will post a pic of them.If anyone wants to see what type of damage this round does shoot me a pm.7 for 7 now with the 130gr barnes TTSX!

Bottom hog was hit first..

needs_recoil
Fawn
Fawn

Post by needs_recoil » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:06 am

If it was a double wouldnt it be 7 hogs for 6 shots? Just trying to up your stats and make it sound way better.

PLP
Spike
Spike

Post by PLP » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:30 pm

needs_recoil wrote:If it was a double wouldnt it be 7 hogs for 6 shots? Just trying to up your stats and make it sound way better.
Actually I missed 1 on the run {my 3rd consecutive shot on the same group of hogs}when I doubled the other day making it 7 shots/7 hogs{the day I lost track of the big one when I got greedy ..took my eyes of him,and hit the small grey one running},but as far as connecting yes 7 hogs with 6 bullets...lol

needs_recoil
Fawn
Fawn

Post by needs_recoil » Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:36 pm

Well either way impressive shooting and very nice results.

Muley Shed Freak
3 point
3 point

Post by Muley Shed Freak » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:34 pm

I have the same exact rifle and have found that the 165 grains absolutely sing out of that rifle! 1/2 inch groups at 400 yards with my 165 grain loads. Awesome hunt!! :thumb

BIG R
4 point
4 point

Post by BIG R » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:30 pm

Those are some tasty critters right there :thumb

shmobag
Spike
Spike

Post by shmobag » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:12 am

i have a 300 WM as well and for big game i reload 180 gr nosler accubonds with 78.0 gr of RL 22 powder in a remington brass. and at 200 yds i was shooting 1 inch groups, 400 yds i was shooting 1.2 inch groups. The thing ive found with this cartridge( and its just my opinion) but the bullet takes so long to stabilize which is why shorter yardage groups arent as close but the groups dont expand much because the bullet stabilizes as it goes out farther. if that makes any sense to anyone. those are some really nice hogs and id like to hear how your 300 does out farther than a couple hundred yards.