Barnes Tipped Tripple Shock

Talk anything related to Rifle hunting
tsimp121
Fawn
Fawn

Barnes Tipped Tripple Shock

Post by tsimp121 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:12 am

Hi guys,
Anyone out there using the Barnes Tipped Tripple Shock bullets in their .270 or 7MM-08? If so, do you think that the results validate the price of these loads? None of my shots range over 150 yards or so, and I usually use Hornady Spire Points, Winchester Power Points, or Remington Core-Lokts. I am going back home to Washington next year and am contemplating trying out the Barnes guessing that I may have to take a shot at over 250 yards. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated. :thumb

aznighthawk
Fawn
Fawn

Re: Barnes Tipped Tripple Shock

Post by aznighthawk » Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:00 pm

I will give you my experience in spite of the fact you are a Seahawks fan. I just bought a tikka .270 and started reloading. My first trip to the range with 130 grain barnes ttsx bullets produced 3 shot groups that were about 1.5 inches on average. All of the groups had varying amounts of h4350 with the manufacturer recommended seating depth.
Of course I found my results to be unsatisfactory so I went to Sportsmans Warehouse and bought some H4831 sc and some Nosler Accubonds. I varied the powder amount and seating depth over a couple trips to the range and got groups that were slightly bigger than my barnes groups.
I liked what I read about the terminal ballistics of the barnes bullets so I decided to give them another try. I went back and tried adjusting the seating depth with my most accurate powder load (54.5 grains of H4350). I ended buying a Hornaday OAL gauge and made groups of four bullets for each of the following distances from the lands (0.020, 0.040, 0.060, 0.080, 0.100, and 0.120). I found that the seating depth had a greater impact on the accuracy than the powder amount did for my rifle. My sweet spot occurred at 0.060 inches from the lands where I shot a four bullet group at 0.6 inches at 100 yds. For me I think the price of the bullets is worth it will allow me to shoot the same load for mule deer and elk. I won’t have to re-sight my gun for different hunts with different bullets and can be confident of where my bullet will hit after I have paid my dues at the range. Most people would say that 130 grains is to light for elk, but with a premium bullet like the ttsx that retains almost 100% of its weight I am convinced penetration will be more than adequate.

I have a mule deer hunt in AZ in 2 weeks and am going crazy waiting for it to get here.

a_bow_nut

Post by a_bow_nut » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:15 pm

I was using the Barnes TTSX on my deer hunt last week and they worked great for me. The first shot was low and hit the deer in the brisket and far leg. It really slowed him down and after the second shot he was down. The exit wound on the first shot was close to an inch and a half and really put a hurting on him. The second shot took out his lungs and by the time that he tipped over which was maybe twenty seconds he had bled out so that when we cleaned him out there wasn't much blood in his chest cavity.

I was shooting a 7MM RUM loaded up with the 150 grain bullets and it worked wonderfuly for me.

I hope that you find a load that works well for you be it barnes or some other bullet.
Live to hunt, hunt to live.

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell
the difference.

tsimp121
Fawn
Fawn

Post by tsimp121 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:47 pm

Thank you for your info, and the results that you have had with these bullets. Keep me posted on your AZ hunt. I have heard great things about the TTS. I do not re-load I don't have the time to do it, so I will probably pick up a box of the Federal and see what they will do. I would agree that 130gr is fine for elk, bullet construction and placement is much more important that weight in my unprofessional opinion.

Thanks once again.....go Seahawks! lol