Aim Above or Below?

Talk anything related to Rifle hunting
Der Aulte Jaeger
Fawn
Fawn

Re: Aim Above or Below?

Post by Der Aulte Jaeger » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:38 am

Aim low in both cases. If the slope isn't much at all in either an up or downhill direction don't worry about it. http://www.firearmssite.com/shoot_uphill.htm I put this up for it's drawing whcih shows this clearly.
der Aulte "Jäger"
Chuck S

"I've traveled many roads and some weren't paved!"

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/

Muley Shed Freak
3 point
3 point

Post by Muley Shed Freak » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:27 pm

Simply.. you aim low either way. Ranged an elk at 138 yards, I'm on a 25% slope above the elk. Actual yardage was 118 yards so the elk was closer than what the range finder said. Now take that and reverse it and put the elk on a 25% slope above me and it would be exactly the same. Now, Depending on the degree of the slope, the distance changes. The more extream the slope, the closer the animal is. Wow, I'm tired from reading all this.

MuleyHunterNV
Spike
Spike

Post by MuleyHunterNV » Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:02 pm

i have a headache... ](*,)

IDHunter
2 point
2 point

Post by IDHunter » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:26 am

MuleyHunterNV wrote:i have a headache... ](*,)
I'm with you. When I was in college I had a computer class that explained how a computer works. From that day forward I realized that there are some things I'm just not meant to know. With a computer, all I need to know is how to make it work and not why it works. For shooting, all I need to know is how to compensate for an angle and not why I need to compensate for an angle :)) .

silvertip-co
2 point
2 point

Post by silvertip-co » Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:56 pm

if shooting uphill or down at a steep angle hold low. always.
SVENSKA50@HOTMAIL.COM
NRA LIFE MEMBER

silvertip-co
2 point
2 point

Post by silvertip-co » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:41 pm

I want to add also that if you have a rangefinder and are ranging uphill or downhill and its not one of the new ARC types heres a lil secret the PROS dont know( risking a big trigonometric internetargument here) ... range your game and then just deduct 10% of the range for the 'true' range, that way you dont have to do the h= o/a trig in your head. Just remember to knock 10% off and you'll be on target. Ex: say you range 513yrds, just knock 52yrds ( ok 51.3 yrds) off and sight for that and your venison is on the ground. Good luck to all.
SVENSKA50@HOTMAIL.COM
NRA LIFE MEMBER

zachvu
Spike
Spike

Post by zachvu » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:10 pm

I want to add also that if you have a rangefinder and are ranging uphill or downhill and its not one of the new ARC types heres a lil secret the PROS dont know( risking a big trigonometric internetargument here) ... range your game and then just deduct 10% of the range for the 'true' range, that way you dont have to do the h= o/a trig in your head. Just remember to knock 10% off and you'll be on target. Ex: say you range 513yrds, just knock 52yrds ( ok 51.3 yrds) off and sight for that and your venison is on the ground. Good luck to all.
This is only true at an angle of 30 degrees correct?
If I understand what was being said from the trig posts earlier:

513 yd ranged @ 10% reduction= 461yds
513 yd ranged @ 30 degrees = 461 yds
513 yd ranged @ 45 degrees = 359 yds
513 yd ranged @ 60 degrees = 257 yds

Is this correct? I'm not trying to complicate the simple answer or blow things up, just making sure I understand how the calculations were made to achieve ranged versus aimed for distances.

ps I LOVE this thread!!