Looking for a new rifle

Talk anything related to Rifle hunting
NRAssociation
Fawn
Fawn

Re: Looking for a new rifle

Post by NRAssociation » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:47 am

If i was on that budget, I would consider buying or trading(encore barrel) into a "used" long action rifle with a cheap scope on it, and transport the action into a new stock(Boyds FT). Pillar bed, glass bed, and free float the barrel yourself. Sell the old stock and cheap scope for extra boot toward a descent scope. This is what I did on a savage 110 7mm rem mag. Total investment $500-$530. Good luck.

buckykm1
2 point
2 point

Post by buckykm1 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:37 am

Remington model 700, in 300 win mag.

Kevin

waspocrew
4 point
4 point

Post by waspocrew » Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:06 pm

I know I'm a tad late on this one... for the price that you are looking at and the distance as well, I would look into a 300 Win Mag or 300 RUM (too much gun for me haha) Here in Logan, Cal Ranch has the Remington 700 ADL going for around $400. If I'm not mistaken, that was for the stainless model. Either caliber has plenty of knock down power and has harvested tons of big animals. I agree with the optics, some sort of glass with a BDC reticle would be necessary for those longer shots.

30Ultra
Fawn
Fawn

Post by 30Ultra » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:48 pm

Remington SPS 300 Ultra. Have one. Love it. Now for a couple of my own thoughts on the taking of game. There is too much emphasis these days on seeing how far one can cleanly take critters. That's all well and good. IF you put in the range time, and the money into the equipment necessary to relibly and humainly take game at those ranges. There needs to be more emphasis on knowing the game,their habitat,and their ways. Marksmanship will never replace woodsmanship in the long run.
I guess I may as well say this too. I wouldn't,and don't buy a rifle based solely on B.C. My 300 RUM is a tweaked sporter weight bedded in a BDL stock that will put 168gr A-Maxes into one hole as long as you care to endure it. (no brake). All good fun to say the least. If you so desire,the Remington Managed Recoil ammo gives sub MOA accuracy as well out to 400yds in my particular rig. Not a bad choice for whitetails if I have to say so myself. Then again,If I so desire I'll break out the 200 Accu-Bonds. Sub MOA as well to 400yds with way more poop than any of us really need. I'm having a 284 built on a trued 700 Long action ,24" #4 Shilen,Holland lug,new firing pin assy,B&C M40 A1 stock skim bedded and a Leupy 4X-12X. Not for the BC,or to take game at 800 yds. Just because I never had one yet,and I'll likely use it on PA whitetails only. The thing is,my 300 RUM is so utterly flexible. Easy to load for. And nobody can deny it's credentials at the extended ranges. Not even the 7mm fellas. I've made several references to the 400yd mark. Thats my ideal. I practice out to 400 a lot. I'm totally comfortable to that range. Would I shoot farther? Sure. But ONLY if I can't possibly get to my comfort zone.(my drop chart goes to 600). If you hone your equipment and skills to the extreme ranges thats great. I love to see rifles taken to their limits. But we can't let the art of "hunting" fall by the side of the road.