Closest Kill

Talk anything related to Rifle hunting
sneekeepete
Monster
Monster

Closest Kill

Post by sneekeepete » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:57 am

Ok guys and gals here's the deal. With all the talk and rage of long range hunting these days does hunting with a long range capable rifle make you look down your nose at someone? I will confess my longest kill shot was here in NC on a big doe with my 300 WSM and it was 250 yards. That is my longest shot at any game ever. The rifle and handload I am shooting is capable of longer shots and I practice out to 500 yards but I hate taking that long of shot unless conditions are perfect. So one more question for everyone with a long range capable rifle... What is your closest kill shot with your rig?
Mine was on my biggest buck to date and I took him at 20 yards. To me it is much more fun to stalk than to shoot.
SNEEKEEPETE
OIF Vet.
Sgt Petersen USMC
Colossians 1:27,28

killerbee

Re: Closest Kill

Post by killerbee » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:30 am

my closest kill was with a rifle, my first bull when i was 15. i killed a 4 point bull at 4 yrds.
My closest bow kill was on a buck at 15 yrds.
my longest bow kill was on this yrs bull at 48 yrds ( and hopefully i will never top that)
My longest rifle kill wasjust a couple yrs ago on a bull at 385 yrds.

I DEFFINATLY think a person has alot more to brag about by telling me how CLOSE they got to their animal vs. telling me how far they pulled a shot off at.

i work with this old guy who's killed a pile of bulls with his bow. his furthest shot has been 35 yrds. he doesnt even practice past 40. he has TONS of kills at 3 yrds, 5 yrds, 7 yrds, 11 yrds ETC... even one story of a 6x6 coming in to 3 yrds shooting it, it jumps out to the other side of him and stops at 6 yrds, he shoots it again, it starts loosing his balance and falls over on his day pack!! ( by the way he's deffinatly not the type you would ever think would tell you a story that wasn't 100% true either) to me , THAT AWSOME!

on the other hand, i have friend who , year after year, tells me stories-- " oh i missed at 95 yrds" ," oh i went ahead and let one fly at 120 yrds"," he was coming in , stopped at 85, i knew i could hammer him so i let er' rip, but he like ducked down and i hit him to high, but i'm sure he's not even hurt" ](*,) ](*,) ( all with his bow) this guy is an amazing shot at a target. but very foolish when it comes to huntingIMO

someone who can get CLOSE cosistantly will make me tip my hat to them 100% of the time!

ridgetop
Monster
Monster

Post by ridgetop » Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:08 pm

My first buck was shot with a 30/30 at about 30 yards and I've shot several under 100 yards, I can't tell you guys how many people wanted me to use there rifle this year on my ram hunt. They claimed I could just "dial up" any yardage out to about 1200. If I would have done that, I would have felt like I lost a big part of the hunt. I declined all offers and used my own rifle and was able to get a one shot kill at 125 or less yards. I didn't range it but knew it was plenty close.
There's always next year

camodup
3 point
3 point

Post by camodup » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:20 pm

My closes kill, with my Remington 887 Nirto, was about 2 weeks ago, and this goldeney seriously almost took my head off, and putting it in numbers i pulled the trigger at 10-15 yards and it ended up 20 yards behind me... Again, almost took off my head :))
thedailyhuntandfish.com

Pro Staff for Northern Utah Waterfowl
Duck Junkies Field Staff

BIG R
4 point
4 point

Post by BIG R » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:55 am

My closest was a whitetail with a 30/30 at 8 yds and my longest was an antelope at 806 with a 7 mag.I have killed lots of game up to 500 yds and a few over.The ones over 500 yds was because I could not get any closer.We shoot all summer long,putting 600 to 700 rds down the barrel and am very comfortable out past 500 yds but only take that sort of shot if im 100% comfortable with it.I prefer all my shots be under 500 yds but when alls I can get is 650 and im comfortable with it ill take it any day.In our wide open country of the plains around here thats all you can get sometimes.Shooting so many long range shots through a rifle while practicing makes all those closer shots just that much easier,just as if you were shooting a bow.If you've never tried long range try it but till then don't knock it.Yes there are alot of loose cannons out there but with lots of practice and good choices you can make an ethical kill on anything IMO :thumb
Last edited by BIG R on Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

a_bow_nut

Post by a_bow_nut » Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:39 am

My closest with a rifle is about twenty yards. With a bow it was at fifteen yards.
Live to hunt, hunt to live.

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell
the difference.

silvertip-co
2 point
2 point

Post by silvertip-co » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:58 pm

6' on a buck with my .264 win mag. then i fell out of the treestand.
SVENSKA50@HOTMAIL.COM
NRA LIFE MEMBER

ABert

Post by ABert » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:28 am

Around 30 yard with my .32 Win Special a few years back up in WA on a doe in heavy timeber. With a scoped rifle, about the same distance on a 5X5 bull I somehow noticed in the heavy timber before he noticed me. Turns out he had about 6 cows with him that I never saw.
It ain't the size of the gun but the placement of the bullet.

maintguy47
3 point
3 point

Post by maintguy47 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:47 pm

Closest was an 8pt (4x4) whitetail with a bow 10yrds. Longest 98yrds with a muzzle loader, 8pt whitetail. I do howvever have alot of respect for those that can consistantly bring down critters at long range in open country.

sneekeepete
Monster
Monster

Post by sneekeepete » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:32 am

lol Silvertip!
Lot's of close shots! Keep em coming!
SNEEKEEPETE
OIF Vet.
Sgt Petersen USMC
Colossians 1:27,28