Closest Kill

Talk anything related to Rifle hunting
m gardner
Monster
Monster

Re: Closest Kill

Post by m gardner » Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:04 pm

From what I see going on in our country is the belief that somehow if you throw enough money at a problem you can solve it. It doesn't matter how much expensive technology you have it cannot make up for a lack of expertise. Thats' why I shoot my bows, pistols and rifles as much as possible on good days and bad days. I do dry fire drills with my firearms daily and am a very presentable offhand shot with a rifle. I have a moving target I shoot too. If you buy a weapon and take the time to become proficient with it by all means shoot as far as you know how. The practice will show you just how pitiful you really are especially in adverse conditions. If I always shoot in perfect conditions from a bench so that my ego feels good from shooting those 1/2 inch groups at 300 meters I'll be at a total loss if it's raining and the wind is blowing and I'm trying to balance my rifle across my pack while shooting at a 75 degree angle downhill. It takes a great deal of skill to drop an animal at long range cleanly especially under field conditions and it takes as much skill to get close enough to poke the barrel in his ear too. It all takes discipline to be successful on a regular basis.

Lunder
Spike
Spike

Post by Lunder » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:07 pm

My closest kill was my first buck ever, when I was 14 years old. I shot it at about 45 yards with an old Winchester 30/30, the same gun my dad shot his first deer with. 45 yards sounds like I stalked it but at 14 I had no stalking skills and just got lucky to be in the right place at the right time. Man I love hunting and the great memories it provides!

Jessedr
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Jessedr » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:50 pm

28 feet down in a drew. popped him with my 357 mag. put him on the mule and packed him back to camp.
SERVED- U.S. MARINES, U.S. ARMY, U.S. NAVY. Az. and Tx. NATIONAL GUARD.

tapehoser
Fawn
Fawn

Post by tapehoser » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:38 pm

My first buck was my closest at 60 yards with my 50 caliber smoke pole.
Where are we going? And why am I in this handbasket???

JDavid
Spike
Spike

Post by JDavid » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:00 pm

My buck two years ago. Him and his two brother jumper out in front of my at 50 yards. Taken with a 30-06. Im hoping to get an elk this year with my bow I wont shot over 30 yards.
Is someone with 10 million dollars any happier than someone with 9 million?

tx_packmule
Fawn
Fawn

Post by tx_packmule » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:45 am

about 15' with my 300wm. Had the 7pt at 10', but was having to look at him through the bottom section of my climbing stand.

With a bow my shortest shot was 3yds, it was one of those shoot or get eaten moments.

ICMDEER
Spike
Spike

Post by ICMDEER » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:24 am

My closest rifle shot was with my old 270 at about 15 yards. Funny thing is my closest bow shot is 23 yards. I've likley killed over 100 critters with my rifle, though and only 4 with a bow, so it is a little unfair to compare. I've only killed 5 critters with a muzz and the closest of those was about 75-80 yards.

bullsnot
Fawn
Fawn

Post by bullsnot » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:26 pm

My closest kill with a rifle was 30 yards on a bull elk.

I have no problems with long range shooting as long as the shooter is responsible and does thier homework. I wouldn't mind having a long range shooter to dink around with but for hunting situations it just isn't my cup of tea. I like getting close....but I don't think everyone needs to live by my preferences either.

waspocrew
4 point
4 point

Post by waspocrew » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:37 am

The first cow elk I shot a few years back was around 40 yards when she and a few others came busting out of the trees. I agree, it's definitely more exciting to be that close!

one hunting fool
Monster
Monster

Post by one hunting fool » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:35 pm

no lie one time while walking up a trail in a small bowl i steped on a branch that cracked and sent a 3 point running straight down the trail i was on I had to shoot him out of self defence. I shot him at 10 ft and he hit the ground tumbling it took out my legs as he hit me and i went head over "a"... when i got up the buck was dead my buddy called out and i realized why he came toward me. the wall of a rock face made it almost impossible to tell where the sound was coming from. he must have though i was above him so he was getting the heck out of there. lol
Genesis 27:3
Now take your hunting equipment, your quiver and bow, and go out into the open country and hunt some wild game for me.