What to wear?

Talk anything related to Rifle hunting
30Ultra
Fawn
Fawn

What to wear?

Post by 30Ultra » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:15 pm

Howdy all. I've drawn a unit 67 first rifle tag for elk in Colorado. Which is great,but brings with it a question. What is the skinny on base layer clothing? I've never felt the need for it here deer hunting in PA,but feel compelled to try it in the mountains. I don't have unlimited funds to play with,so I need the skinny on a budget. We will be ATV/foot hunting, (no horses). I was reading the thread here regarding Under Armor,and have no doubt the brand is excellent,but needs applied properly. There was mention of "Smart Wool". Is this something I should have in conjunction with a good base layer? I'm old enough to remember when wool was it. My first "Hunting" coat was a big heavy Woolrich. Oh it was warm all right,and HEAVY! I'm sure glad things have evolved to the degree they have. Now I just need to make an educated purchase to ensure a warm and dry week in the Colorado mountains.

sneekeepete
Monster
Monster

Re: What to wear?

Post by sneekeepete » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:54 am

I have used Merino Wool as well as poly propolene (Spelling?) plus some blends. IMO the wool is by far the best. It doesn't get stinky and it insulates just as well if not better than anyting else I've ever tried. Downfall is the price tag on this stuff it steep! If I were you I would keep an eye out for some deals. I got a couple pairs of Merino Wool blends made by medalist from cabelas a year ago for $14 a set! Either merino wool or ploy pros will work. I just prefer the wool after experiencing it.
I'd watch sites like steepandcheap.com, camofire.com, backcountry.com, ems.com, and of course all your hunting sites and just wait for a great deal to pop up.
SNEEKEEPETE
OIF Vet.
Sgt Petersen USMC
Colossians 1:27,28

Tonoonyi
3 point
3 point

Post by Tonoonyi » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:59 am

Keep an eye on Steep and Cheep, they often times have great deals on some of the good base layers. I agree with Sneekeepete, a light Merino wool base layer can be found for $10 to $20 bucks and they are priceless when you start to get damp in the hills.
Keep your nose in the wind and your eyes along the skyline.

dahlmer
Monster
Monster

Post by dahlmer » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:17 pm

You can go spend a small fortune on setups like Sitka, but the reality is you can build your own layering system for substantially less. The other guys have provided some great information and resources. More than anything you will want to stay away from cotton particularly during the winter. It's comfortable, but it soaks and holds water and doesn't dry out quickly. It can become deadly in situations where you are in freezing temps and do a lot of sweating and then spend some time sitting and glassing or if you just end up wet. If nothing else you will get cold fast and will be unable to stay focused.

30Ultra
Fawn
Fawn

Post by 30Ultra » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:06 pm

Thanks a million guys :thumb . This is the sort of input I can use. I'll be sure to check out the sites mentioned above. I've never heard of Steep and Cheap,so I'm anxious to check it out.

tx_packmule
Fawn
Fawn

Post by tx_packmule » Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:18 pm

Columbia Omni Heat is a good option to look at.