How critical is a spotting scope?

Talk anything related to Rifle hunting
oldcp
Spike
Spike

How critical is a spotting scope?

Post by oldcp » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:08 pm

I have a muley hunt coming up in WY, and I'm debating whether or not to buy a spotting scope. I have always just used binoculars in the past. How important is it to have both?

sneekeepete
Monster
Monster

Re: How critical is a spotting scope?

Post by sneekeepete » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:37 pm

There are so many variables that could come into play with this question. First off if you don't have the money available for a quality scope I would say don't sweat it and save up till you can get one that will last a lifetime. Also don't cut yourself short and buy a cheapo cause it will make your hunt more miserable than enjoyable.
I use my scope a ton but mostly because I know the area I hunt so well. If I end up in a place that is unfamiliar to me I tend to stick with my binos and move around more to try and get a better feel for the country.
It also depends on if I am backpacking, on horseback, hunting out of a large comfortable camp...
So I will leave you with this. If you plan on hunting the west often it will be a great investment. If not I would encourage you to save your money for something else...
SNEEKEEPETE
OIF Vet.
Sgt Petersen USMC
Colossians 1:27,28

Springville Shooter
Monster
Monster

Post by Springville Shooter » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:55 pm

Pete's right. Depending on your style of hunting, you will not need a spotting scope. They can be very productive and save alot of miles on the boots, but I use mine far more while scouting than actually deer hunting. Save your money and buy a decent one when you can. They do make the middle of the day more productive as you can set up and glass bedding areas. Binos are 100% more important in my opinion and you should get the best, most rugged pair you can afford. They will kill you the more deer than any other piece of equipment that you take into the field.---SS
"Only accurate rifles are interesting"-----Col. Townsend Whelen

oldcp
Spike
Spike

Post by oldcp » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:02 am

OK, Let's say I could safely spend around $600 on a spotting scope without getting divorced. Would that be enough to get a decent one? What makes do you guys like? How do you feel about Nikon? A good friend of mine is on the Nikon Prostaff and can get me pretty good deals.

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:56 am

pete and shooter are spot on. binos are more imortant, but i use the crud out of my spotter. i wouldn't go without it.

your price range might put you just under the leapold 12-45X60mm gold ring. but you could probably find A used one for that price. it's what i use asnd love it! plus the warrenty is great.

if you can "comfortably" swing it, heck yea buy one! but you can have a good hunt without one olso.

sneekeepete
Monster
Monster

Post by sneekeepete » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:18 am

I like the Leupold scopes that killer mentioned as well. Honestly I have used everything from low end Bushnell to mid class Leupolds, to Swarovski and Leica but have no first hand experience with nikon. I haven't heard much about any of their spotters except for the EDG and they are very expensive....
I have heard quite a bit of decent stuff about the Vortex line as well so I would take a look at them.
If you could round one up I'd really consider the Leupold Killer mentioned though.
SNEEKEEPETE
OIF Vet.
Sgt Petersen USMC
Colossians 1:27,28

spoofman
Spike
Spike

Post by spoofman » Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:30 pm

if your hunting the high country i wouldnt dare go without. if not a good pair of binos works good too!

oldcp
Spike
Spike

Post by oldcp » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:58 pm

What about Burris? They seem to be extremely affordable. I have a Burris scope on one of my rifles and it is really nice. I noticed the Burris spotters are not water proof. Is that why they are so cheap?

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:55 am

if it's not waterproof, then it probably isn't going to be fog proof- the worst thing you could have happen--- the inside fogging up!

locofife
Fawn
Fawn

Post by locofife » Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:23 pm

I have heard very good things about Vortex optics. They have an outstanding warranty and good glass. You could pick up a Vortex Nomad for a bit over $300 new. Look up Doug from Cameraland NY. He'll treat you right. That being said, I'm buying a Leupold gold ring which is running me a bit more than the $600 you're willing to spend.