New Rifle

Talk anything related to Rifle hunting
waspocrew
4 point
4 point

New Rifle

Post by waspocrew » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:55 am

Hey guys,
I just picked up a spike elk tag yesterday and have committed myself to an elk hunt in a couple months.... Now comes the fun part of getting a rifle for it! I've been thinking about a .308 as far as the caliber, but I'm not completely sold on which brand. Price range would be around $600 to $650 ish. My father in law hand loads and I've been trying my hand at it as well. If it helps, I already have a Browning X Bolt Stainless Hunter in 25-06 and it shoots like a dream. I'm open to any opinions/thoughts!

m gardner
Monster
Monster

Re: New Rifle

Post by m gardner » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:21 pm

I've shot elk with a 25-06 and premium bullets. I sold it to my buddy for his girls and they shot lots of elk with it. I wouldn't hesitate to use it as long as you wait for a decent shot and use something along the lines of a Barnes Tipped Tripleshock. Good luck. Mark

spoofman
Spike
Spike

Post by spoofman » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:46 pm

i use remington 700 .308 and have done just great. Decent gun for the price.

Springville Shooter
Monster
Monster

Post by Springville Shooter » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:06 pm

Your 25-06 will work fine, I would not call it the ideal for elk, but I am a lover of the 25-06 and know of alot of elk that have been taken cleanly with this caliber. 120 Nosler Partitions would be my only choice, but I imagine the heavier TSX bullets would work as well. That being said, my motto is......never pass up the opportunity to add to the gun collection. Good news is that either way you can't lose. The 308 is a great caliber too.----------SS
"Only accurate rifles are interesting"-----Col. Townsend Whelen

waspocrew
4 point
4 point

Post by waspocrew » Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:38 pm

Thanks for the input guys! I'm super excited to get out this fall. I'm with Shooter, I can't pass up an opportunity to add to my rifle collection! :)) After this it might be a while before my wife will let me add to it again haha. We have a family vacation to Lake Powell this week, but after that it will be rifle shopping time. I'll let you know what I find!

waspocrew
4 point
4 point

Post by waspocrew » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:58 am

Sorry to take so long... I've been busy catching up with work. I did some shopping around and I ended up going with a Remington 700 in .308. I topped her off with a Nikon Buckmasters 3-9x40 with BDC. I still haven't had the chance to take it out and fire it, but I'm hoping to tomorrow. Pretty excited to see how she does! Thanks again for the input.