looking for new rifle...

Talk anything related to Rifle hunting
antleredquest
Fawn
Fawn

looking for new rifle...

Post by antleredquest » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:01 pm

I really like the 270 caliber but am interested in hearing some opinions of the 270 WSM? Would anyone recommend the WSM? Pros and cons, Thanks guys!

waspocrew
4 point
4 point

Re: looking for new rifle...

Post by waspocrew » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:23 am

I think you are going to hear plenty of people that love the WSM line and plenty who can't stand them. I went through this debate a few times when I was trying to decide on a new rifle. I had watched plenty of footage show casing what these rounds could do and that really got me hooked! After settling down a bit though, I looked at it a little harder and decided to go with a standard round over the WSM.

For me, I couldn't justify the cost of ammo ( I'm in college and don't have the resources to reload). It would just be too expensive to go to the range and actually practice. If you reload though, the costs would considerably go down.

Standard rounds have been around because they're tried and true, but the 300 WSM and 270 WSM are gaining quite the following as well. You have your eyes on a solid round (270 and 270 WSM), just do a little homework on the ballistics and energy and see if it's really worth the extra cost. A new rifle is always fun to buy. Good luck!

antleredquest
Fawn
Fawn

Post by antleredquest » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:05 pm

awesome good info thanks. I do have access to reloading equipment which does help the higher cost of ammo but I'm still torn. I feel like both are good options, which makes the decision harder. Would love to hear some more opinions if anyone is willing...

ABert

Post by ABert » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:28 pm

I've been shooting just the regular, plain old, tried and tested .270 Win for over 30 years now. I've yet to find a reason to change. I've taken elk out past 300 yards and within 25 yards.

If it ain't broke, I'm not the one who is going to try and fix it.
It ain't the size of the gun but the placement of the bullet.

waspocrew
4 point
4 point

Post by waspocrew » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:27 pm

I should also mention that I've been shooting the .270 win for a few years as well. It's a great caliber.

TheGreatwhitehunter

Post by TheGreatwhitehunter » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:53 pm

The 270 is my favorite caliber and I have killed so many different species with it, but my next rifle will absolutely be a 270 WSM.
THE LORD IS MY ROCK

Indianw
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Indianw » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:08 am

got me a 700CDL with a 4-12 x40mm luepold in the 270 great gun first shot in the field droped a nice 3x2 blacktail lol

donut slayer
Fawn
Fawn

Post by donut slayer » Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:25 pm

Here is my .02 for what its worth. I have both a 270 win (actually 3 of them) and a 300wsm. I love both. When it comes to reloading, the 270 win is cheaper. Its easier on cases, dosent use as much powder, cases are cheaper and you dont have to use premium bullets. The WSM family of cartridges have their drawbacks. Case life is one. Case neck splits are a lot more common. (at least in win brass) Cases are way more expensive. The velocity your gonna get will make a cup and core bullet fail unless its downloaded(but why since you want mag velocities) or its long range. The sharp angle of the shoulder makes feeding, sometimes, more difficult. (although I havent experienced this, others claim to have) I personally like a short action, so its a toss up for me. I am looking to add a 2nd WSM to my collection though. :thumb