7mm WSM???

Talk anything related to Rifle hunting
oldcp
Spike
Spike

7mm WSM???

Post by oldcp » Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:10 pm

I traded for a model 70 in 7mm WSM today. I have no experience with short mags. I would appreciate some feedback from anyone who has experience with the caliber.

Springville Shooter
Monster
Monster

Re: 7mm WSM???

Post by Springville Shooter » Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:41 pm

The 7MM WSM is a great round that is similar in performance to the 7MM Rem Mag. Most rifles shoot well the cartridge is easily reloadable. There are also several great premium factory rounds available. I would recommend 150+ grain bullets to reach the potential of this powerful round.---------SS
"Only accurate rifles are interesting"-----Col. Townsend Whelen

waspocrew
4 point
4 point

Post by waspocrew » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:37 am

I'm interested in hearing some thoughts on this one as well.... I've always wanted one, but I've never quite been able to talk myself into getting one. I know some guys who have other WSM calibers (300 and 270) and they have nothing but good to say about them.

dahlmer
Monster
Monster

Post by dahlmer » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:02 pm

I have the 300 WSM short mag. My only complaint (more of an FYI) is that because of the shortness of the action and comparitively large casings, jams and misfeeds can be an issue if you are not careful to pull the bolt back completely when ejecting a shell. Long bullets like Berger can also be too large to fit the action if not seated extremely deep. It seems to be less of an issue with Winchester actions vs the Remington actions I have experience with. We loaded some 180 grn Accubonds that don't fit in the Remington action, but they work fine with the Winchester action.

oldcp
Spike
Spike

Post by oldcp » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:41 pm

How does the recoil of the WSM compare to the rem mag?

dahlmer
Monster
Monster

Post by dahlmer » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:18 pm

It's not a great comparison because the remington is a lot lighter gun so it does have more recoil although it is not as bad as other guns I have shot. The worst I have ever shot was a Browning 30.06...sucker kicked like a mule. On a side note my dad has a Nosler 270 short mag. He says that kicks worse than his 300 and 300 wsm. I have heard several people claim that caliber really carries a punch.

The Ox
Monster
Monster

Post by The Ox » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:33 pm

Have had a model 70 7mmwsm for about 5 years. never been able tyo get good groups out of it. I finally decided to start reloading. heaviest factory cartridges i found were 150's decided to load up some heavier bullets to see hgow it did. so i Loaded 162 gr hornadys with imr 4350 powder and the groups tightened up very nicely. I loaded 3 rds of 6 different powder charges. found the one that shoots best and loaded up 10 rounds need to go chrono and shoot and see how they do and double check the accuracy(groups ) make sure it wasnt a fluke. . Have a muley hunt in NM at the end of the month if I dont get it shooting good ILL be taking the trusty old 243. But i think I have the right recipe now. Been so swampeed with school work havent had the time to work on the rounds very much. If i can get mine shooting good I am going to love it!
I hated it until now. Factory ammo way to spendy. Now since i am reloading myself i can load them up for 13-15 a box of 20 so its not too painful now.

waspocrew
4 point
4 point

Post by waspocrew » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:47 am

I think reloading is definitely the way to go with the WSM line. I hope it turns out to be a shooter! Good luck on your hunt!

oldcp
Spike
Spike

Post by oldcp » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:31 pm

I shot my 7mm WSM for the first time today. So far I am happy with it. I mounted and bore sighted a scope and took it out to sight it in. First 3 shot group at 200yds was <1.5" with factory 140gr Accubonds. The recoil is substantial but really not uncomfortable. I would say the recoil is comparable to a 7mm rem mag, but more of a push than a punch. I got it zeroed at 200, but I made the mistake of shooting to much. By the time I got it where I wanted it I was fatigued and my groups started to deteriorate. I am probably going to take it out tomorrow and shoot a couple groups to see what it will do. I like the rifle and I am looking forward to getting better acquainted with it. I'll keep you posted and If all goes well this time next year you guys will see it in a picture with a 180" buck.

waspocrew
4 point
4 point

Post by waspocrew » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:06 am

oldcp wrote: I'll keep you posted and If all goes well this time next year you guys will see it in a picture with a 180" buck.
That'd be awesome :thumb Sounds like you've got yourself a shooter!