Big Game

Talk anything related to Rifle hunting
greatwhitehope
Fawn
Fawn

Re: Big Game

Post by greatwhitehope » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:19 pm

Thanks for all your input guys, at this point I'm thinking the 300 wheatherby mag and would like to open a new can of worms. Regular or lightweight and break or no break

greatwhitehope
Fawn
Fawn

Post by greatwhitehope » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:27 pm

Thanks for all your help guys, st this point I think.its going to be the 300 weathetby mag. but would like to open a nrw can of worms. Regular or lightweight and break or no break. Thanks again

bh107
Spike
Spike

Post by bh107 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:40 am

greatwhitehope wrote:Thanks for all your help guys, st this point I think.its going to be the 300 weathetby mag. but would like to open a nrw can of worms. Regular or lightweight and break or no break. Thanks again
That is a great choice. 300 Weatherby is a classic round that will do everything you want it to.

I prefer heavier rifles myself, and the weight has never bothered my while hiking with them. Of course I am young and in pretty good shape so I don't even notice the few extra pounds. I feel I'm more stable with a heavier gun, and the weight helps keep the recoil down.

As far as the brake question, the heavier the rifle the less you will need it. If you go lightweight, I would definitely recommend it. It really does make the gun easier to shoot, and gives you a better oppertunity to watch your shot. I have shot a lighter 300 without a brake and honestly it's a gun that was not fun to shoot. I've talked to guys with similar guns that only shoot them a few times to check the zero, hunt with them, and then put them away until next time they go out. It does have downsides like I mentioned before, but if you are prepared for them (hearing protection for you and anyone with you) then it's worth it.

dahlmer
Monster
Monster

Post by dahlmer » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:35 pm

I'm not a big proponant of muzzle breaks. If you can shoot without it, that would be my preference. I find the noise more disturbing than the kick. Recoil seems to very greatly from one gun to the next. I find a good trigger seems to do more to help me manage recoil than just about anything else. A good recoil pad makes a big difference as well. If it is a big concern, get a hevier rifle that will absorb more of the recoil.