Reloaders help

Talk anything related to Rifle hunting
BIG R
4 point
4 point

Reloaders help

Post by BIG R » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:06 pm

Ok so me and a couple buddies went hog hunting in California this last week and had a heck of a time killing them tough rascals due to the fact our barnes were not expanding what so ever.We had shots from 80yds out to the furthest of 190yds.Now i know these pigs are tough but when it take 3 shots through the shoulder of one of them and 4 shots through the shoulder of another one and the entry and exit wounds are no bigger than each other we have a problem.First round is a 280 rem,140grn tsx @ 3000 fps and the other is a 7mm rem,150grn ttsx@ 3100 fps.these bullets perform outstanding on deer,elk and antelope but not hogs .Why?????? (???) I thought with the thick armour plate the bullets would have no other option than to open up but they didnt.I allways shot trophy bonded bear claws until you could no longer hunt with lead down there.Am i pushing them to fast or need to go to a bigger bullet???Help please

BIG R
4 point
4 point

Re: Reloaders help

Post by BIG R » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:38 am

Anybody????

Tonoonyi
3 point
3 point

Post by Tonoonyi » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:40 pm

I would have a reply if I had any idea why they wouldn't expand. I have always had extremely good look with the TSX.

I don't believe that it would be because they are too fast though.
Keep your nose in the wind and your eyes along the skyline.

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:09 am

yea BIGR, i have your question out to a couple people. I don't have an answer myself but if i hear i'll pass it on

BIG R
4 point
4 point

Post by BIG R » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:33 am

Thx killer.

BIG R
4 point
4 point

Post by BIG R » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:10 pm

Shooter i know you have hunted pigs in CA.Any advice on what my issue is?

Springville Shooter
Monster
Monster

Post by Springville Shooter » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:24 am

I have hunted pigs alot in California. I also have had abnormal bullet performance on them and I can't explain it. I have had bullets like the Swift Scirroco fragment and barely penatrate, then, I had a 70 grain ballistic tip out of my 243 break the humerous, then penatrate all the way to the other side where it was perfectly mushroomed. I have no idea? On the subject of the Barnes TSX, I have noticed that the tipped versions seem to expand much more readily than the standard hollowpoint versions. I have gone to them in both 25 caliber as well as 30 and wound channels last year were much more impressive. One other note is that I have had the best luck on hogs with larger, slow moving slugs. I have taken them with both the 35 Whelen and 45-70. These cartridges leave no doubt about the result. I think the 350 Rem mag would be a great hogger as well. Sorry I don't have a better answer for this one.----SS
"Only accurate rifles are interesting"-----Col. Townsend Whelen

BIG R
4 point
4 point

Post by BIG R » Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:30 pm

Thx Shooter.I think im going to slow it down a bit and go a larger bullet.Ill let you know how it works in a couple weeks when I go back.

M.Bird
3 point
3 point

Post by M.Bird » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:39 pm

not always the best to have the bullet traveling so fast, punching holes straight though, i know, faster and flatter,

depending on the area that you are in and if allowed to use lead core bullets? slow down and let the bullet have time to expand
pigs are tough, angles play a very big part on pics, they are designed as a stream line animal, quartering shots are the worst thing for pigs.

my thoughts: go with a heavier bullet wt, this will also slow down your bullet, use a bullet that will expand

V/R
M.Bird

105Coues
Fawn
Fawn

Post by 105Coues » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:18 am

Try Nosler Accubonds. you will not be disappointed