Our first Kentucky Whitetail.

Talk anything related to Rifle hunting
Hiker

Our first Kentucky Whitetail.

Post by Hiker » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:02 pm

photo.jpg
photo.jpg (173.26 KiB) Viewed 9815 times
The boys killed our first Kentucky Whitetail. This farm has a lot of feed but very little cover for whitetails so we see very few. We were thankful that this buck showed himself opening day.
Hiker

Proverbs 3:5-6

Springville Shooter
Monster
Monster

Re: Our first Kentucky Whitetail.

Post by Springville Shooter » Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:59 pm

Looks like a tasty little butter-ball morsel if you ask me. Hopefully the deer make it a habit to grace your place with an opening day appearance each year.------SS
"Only accurate rifles are interesting"-----Col. Townsend Whelen

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:52 pm

That's awesome Hiker and family!

What about other areas? is there other places you can hunt or is it all private around you?

Hiker

Post by Hiker » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:00 am

It was fat like a butterball. Corn & alfalfa fed. Its pretty much private around us. There is some public land around but from what I understand it gets hunted pretty hard. They have a Quota Hunt which we might start applying for next year. Some of those have a 15" min spread.
Hiker

ABert

Post by ABert » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:41 pm

So you moved out to Kentucky? And here I'm planning on moving back to CO in the coming year.

Congrats to the boys on putting some meat in the freezer.
It ain't the size of the gun but the placement of the bullet.

Hiker

Post by Hiker » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:15 pm

ABert,
We relocated this August. It's much better to raise cattle and farm here. That high Desert was rough with the price of hay and feeding 5 months per year. Colorado has changed a lot since you left. Taxes, Libs and antis are controlling most things now a days. I nicknamed it Eastern California. I guess I could have sold my cattle off and started growing pot instead of alfalfa...and done pretty good....LOL! Can you believe they made recreational pot legal?
Hiker

ABert

Post by ABert » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:09 pm

I was up there in Nov for an elk hunt and had a conversation with one of my cousins who I didn't realize was a liberal. That was fun to say the least!

Believe it or not, with the way the state is and no indication of it turning around, I am also looking at WY. Problem is, I can't think of a better location than the Lake George/Florissant area. I've always loved that area and it is so close to great fishing, hunting, hiking, offroading, skiing, etc.

I'm am torn but think, maybe in some small way, if I do move back I can help to put the state back on the right track and possibly "persuade" a few of the Kaliforny folks to move elsewhere...
It ain't the size of the gun but the placement of the bullet.

Hiker

Post by Hiker » Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:47 am

I use to spend a lot of time at Eleven mile and Spinney . We looked hard at Montana but are thankful we landed here.
Hiker

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:37 am

I've always liked Colorado, but it's been 10 years since I've been there. Just comparing to Oregon, there is so much better hunting in Colorado. But can sure see what you mean,I REALLY can't believe they made pot legal. Winters might get kind of old there,I remember it was about 1997 or maybe 98, we had a snow storm come through in Colorado city that put 6feet of snow in 2 days! It was in insain, couldn't go anywhere.

Anyway, in the end I guess it doesn't mater where you live as long as e have are family around us and can make a living.