Talk anything related to Rifle hunting
Hiker

Post by Hiker » Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:38 pm

Welcome skinner. :thumb
Hiker

Proverbs 3:5-6

TheGreatwhitehunter

Post by TheGreatwhitehunter » Sun Dec 23, 2007 10:57 pm

SKINNER ::wel to the Maddness your going to love it here. :thumb :)
THE LORD IS MY ROCK

M.Bird
3 point
3 point

Post by M.Bird » Mon Dec 24, 2007 4:47 am

I’ll add my first 2 cents
Best Rifle I have owned: Savage Model 110E 30-06, did a pillar bedding job, cleaned up the trigger, floated the barrel, rifle shot ½ groups off the bench, did all this in the early 80’s, hunted from New Mexico to Alaska with it, always go the job done. The Ex-XXXXX :>/ , sold it while I was deployed in 2000. I wish I had the rifle back.
Found new toys, for deer and antelope XP-100 center grip in 7mm-08 with Burris 4X scope practice on bowling ball pins @200 meters.
Elk: Revelations model 250M action, 26”Douglas Barrel in 308 Norma Mag. Found left handed stock with right handed action. Have taken 2 Elk and 1 mule deer, all dropped within 50 yards of being hit. ½ to ¾ groups of the bench shooting 180gr. bullets @3100fsp.
Muzzle Loader. T/C renegade .54cal, set triggers, miller sights, a real tack driver. 120gr ff black powder, 410gr buffalo bullets, only taken 2 cow elk with it, no trouble finding a blood trail, did not have to track very far.

Hopefully be home for hunting this year, had to turn my tags in for 07.

Best Wishes for the Holidays

M. Bird

skinner
Fawn
Fawn

Post by skinner » Mon Dec 24, 2007 5:12 am

Thank all of you folk's for the welcome and hello M. Bird

Mike
A bad hunting is better than a good day at work

MontanaMonkey
Fawn
Fawn

Post by MontanaMonkey » Wed Dec 26, 2007 5:37 am

I killed my first elk with an open site German 8mm that my Grandfather sent back from WWII, five point bull. I used that rifle until I left home, and killed all together six Mulies, and six Elk. It shot perfect groups, and dropped anything that it touched instantly. Since I have gone through Sniper/Countersniper school and learned the value of a scope :) I now shoot a Weatherby 270, which will almost dislocate your shoulder as pennance for pulling the trigger, and a Browning ABolt 300WSM. I I also shoot the funnest rifle in the world for White Tail, a Henry 44Mag. I leave it open site to remind myself how to shoot that way :)
Take your kids hunting and teach em right.

Painted Horse
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Painted Horse » Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:35 am

MontanaMonkey, I'm curious what kind of load do you use in the 270 Weatherby? One of my rifles is a 270WSM and comparing the 270Weatherby's ballistics in the manuals to what I actually get, doesn't show much of a difference.

I've got 3 30-06, a 270 WSM and a 300 WSM, I had a 25-06 for 30 years, I traded it off last year. I'll get another as I really like that caliber for deer and antelope. I may try it in the new Browning X-Bolt this spring when they come out.
Most of my hunting the last 5 years has been with the 270WSM in a Winchster Model 70 Classic. It's been a great caliber for Deer/elk.

MontanaMonkey
Fawn
Fawn

Post by MontanaMonkey » Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:11 am

[quote="Painted Horse"]MontanaMonkey, I'm curious what kind of load do you use in the 270 Weatherby? One of my rifles is a 270WSM and comparing the 270Weatherby's ballistics in the manuals to what I actually get, doesn't show much of a difference.

I think the reason behind the massive kick is just the how light the rifle is. I have a friend that has a 270W Weatherby as well, he has the Mark V synthetic just like mine, and its super hard on the shoulder too. I have tried everything from Remmington 130 Accutip, to 150 CoreLokt, to 140 Supreme Accubond to 130 Supreme Ballistic Silvertips. I am having a friend reload some for me for when I get home next year for hunting season, hopefully that will help. Right now, its just hope that you dont have to spend more than a couple of shots sighting it in :) Man its a kicker. I have a 300WSM, and a 338M that dont kick as hard as my 270. But, I cant complain to much, cause once she is on, it is one super accurate weapon.
Take your kids hunting and teach em right.

jsalas68
Fawn
Fawn

Re: what rifle do you hunt with?

Post by jsalas68 » Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:54 pm

I love to use my Ruger 264 Winchester magnum loaded with 140 grain XLC ahead of 65 grains of IMR 7828. Shot Elk and Mule Deer and Antelope, never had a problem. I would like to use 130 grain triple shock

Need4x4
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Need4x4 » Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:00 pm

Just thought I would tell all about my deer rifles. I purchased a used rifle while still in college. It is a ted williams (sears brand) and it looks like a model 70. It is a model 53. First time a research it, I thought I narrowed the manufacturer to Marlin, but did a recent search and several folks said winchester. Don't know for sure. It is very accurate. I had it glass bedded and it is in 30:06. My best deer were taken with the rifle.

I upgraded first to a weatherby vangaurd in 7mm rem. from walmart. It is a good accurate gun, but heavey. I took some small mule deer with it.

Then I went a little and purchased a savage model 16 in Lazzeroni Patriot. Very accurate, but you must handload, unless your fond of spending multiple dollars per shot. Took a nice elk and a nice for the unit mule deer with it. I really like the Model 16 and 116 savage rifles, so I bought a 16 in 300 wsm and a 116 in 06 and rebarreled it to 280 rem. I like them all. Just shoot the two new ones now.

The 280 rem. has accutrigger. The 300 wsm, I put on an aftermarket trigger by timney.

Wish I lived closer to a range.

M.Bird
3 point
3 point

Post by M.Bird » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:34 pm

These must be older savages, if you changed to the timney triggers, I don’t think you would change the new savage trigger for a timney.
On your lazzeroni patriot how did the re-barrel and did you have a muzzle brake? If no brake how is the recoil?
I have toyed with the idea about this round in the past.