Idaho Whiteys

Talk anything related to Rifle hunting
AGCHAWK
Monster
Monster

Post by AGCHAWK » Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:17 pm

hghcountry, bug me all ya want my friend!

Access in unit 8 is pretty decent. Plenty of free land to hunt around there...at least I have never had any problems at all. I usually hunted around the Deary/Boville area and had no issues.

As for Dworshak res...man, I haven't hunted up there since I was a kid (I lived in Orofino for quite a while). I know it was great back then and I've heard that it hasn't changed much since then. However, I am not sure about land access and that sort of stuff. Again, it's been too long. I'll ask around and see what I can find for ya.

GOOD LUCK! I wish I was joinin' ya but I am getting ready to ship out again and will miss the season. Keep us posted@!

adamsoa
Fawn
Fawn

Calling

Post by adamsoa » Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:55 pm

I have been making the trek up to Northern Idaho to chase Whitetails for the last few years. I'm wondering if I could get some advice on rattling. We always hit the 15-20 of Nov. and most of the time the bucks are getting into the rut. We mostly spot and stalk, but I've tried to rattle a few times and I've yet to have anything come in.

AGCHAWK
Monster
Monster

Post by AGCHAWK » Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:41 pm

adamsoa, WELCOME TO MULEYMADNESS!!

I am in a bit of a hurry but wanted to let ya know I saw your question. I'l try to get to it within the next 24 hours. I'll let ya know how I do it (Take it for what it's worth...LOL).

GOOD LUCK!

adamsoa
Fawn
Fawn

Thanks

Post by adamsoa » Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:08 am

Sounds good. Thanks

AGCHAWK
Monster
Monster

Post by AGCHAWK » Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:00 pm

adamsoa, sorry for the delay. I'll outline how my brother and I do it..but we are by no means "experts". However, we seem to do OK so something must be right!
I'll outline everything we do:

1) To start, we completely de-scent our clothing and gear. I use scent-free detergent and de-scent spray on all my whitetail rut hunts. It's probably not completely necessary but when I am trying to convince a big buck to come to my calls I don't want him winding me. I pack my gear in a scent free bag and carry it in my truck. We'll head to our parking spot and change into our hunting clothes before we head into the woods. That way we don't get the truck smell, house smell, coffee, breakfast, etc on our clothes and gear. (These bucks are rut-crazy but not completely stupid. They will, in a lot of occassions, circle an area before entering. Even if you set up with favorable wind, thier circling will eventually bring them downwind of you...even if it's for a short period)

2) I also try to get scent markers out a week or so before I hit an area. However, a lot of times I am moving from one area to another so this is something I do on a limited basis.

3) If the bucks aren't quite rutting heavily yet, or I'm hunting a bit early, I use a "light" calling set. I'll rattle lightly and for brief periods with about 20-25 minutes between rattling sessions (Each rattling session lasts around 5-10 minutes). I'll also throw a doe bleat in every now and again. Basically, I try to similate two buck "feeling themselves out" as the rut approaches. In other words, I try to keep it lighter than I would during the rut or the post-rut.

4) If they're really rutting I "bump up" my rattling sessions to around 10-15 minutes apiece with about 15-20 minutes between sessions. I also use my grunt tube both during the rattling session and during the rest periods. Again, a doe bleat or two thrown in is also part of my "game plan". I also make sure my rattling sessions are much more vigorous than the pre-rut sessions. I'm really trying to similate two bucks fighting over a young lady.

5) As the rut nears the end, I pick up the pace a bit as far as the rattling goes. I use the same time-line as I do during the rut but I hit the antlers much harder. The bucks don't seem to be as "ambition" during the post rut so it takes a bit more heavy rattling.

6) Although my brother will occassionally use a tree stand, we usually do a modified spot and stalk when hunting the N ID whitetail. Naturally, we have our "favorite" spots with plenty of natural ground cover that allows us to cover entrance/escape routes. However, we will also look for fresh tracks/sign while walking. If we cut something promising, we'll slowing pursue until we find a nice spot to stop and start calling. Remember though, during the rut the bucks are on the move so keep alert at all times...they'll sometimes appear when you least expect it!

I have no idea how others go about doing it but we've come up with these processes over the last few years. Most of it was derived by trial and error but it seems to work pretty well.

Well my friend, I hope this helps. Like I said, I am by no means an expert and do not claim to be. It always helps to be lucky and stay persistant. That is by far the best advice I can give ya. GOOD LUCK and keep us posted on the upcoming hunt!

adamsoa
Fawn
Fawn

9 days

Post by adamsoa » Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:37 am

I'm heading up to Idaho in 9 days for a 9 day hunt. We will be up at the Clearwater 12 from the 11th to the 20th. I have a couple of tags burning a hole in my pocket. :thumb I'll let you know how it turns out.

AGCHAWK
Monster
Monster

Post by AGCHAWK » Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:41 pm

Good luck Adam!!! I'm lookiin' forward to some great pics!

adamsoa
Fawn
Fawn

Post by adamsoa » Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:00 pm

Idaho was great this year!!!

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:36 pm

Sounds good, having trouble with the images though?

adamsoa
Fawn
Fawn

Post by adamsoa » Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:30 pm

How do I post them?