Nosler failures

Talk anything related to Rifle hunting
treedagain
2 point
2 point

Re: Nosler failures

Post by treedagain » Sat May 23, 2009 7:53 am

+1 muley shed freak.....never had a issue with any nosler bullets. I shoot a 160 grn partition and my brother shoots a accubond 160 grn....no issues.

TheGreatwhitehunter

Post by TheGreatwhitehunter » Sat May 23, 2009 1:47 pm

Posted by: ICMDEER
I've been outfitting for over 20 years and for the last 15, I have not allowed anyone to use a ballistic tip on deer or elk. I'm not real dictatorial, but I saw WAY TOO MANY of those bullets come apart on impact. I only saw one ballistic tip go through a critter and that was a 338 on a deer. Nosler makes other great bullets, but the ballistic tips should be used primariliy for varmints. Those bullets blow up on contact and I have not seen them penetrate at any distance or velocity. I still shoot good old partitions and they have served me well for many years.
YES +1 on on that

I have seen them blow up on the shoulder of animals would not personally use a Nosler Ballistic tip in the big magnum cartridges on Big Game.

Now on the other hand I have had good results with the Accubond and satisfying results with the Partition. I have also had good results using the Ballistic tips on Varmints but would not use them on big game after the problems I have seen with them. The Accubonds and the Partitions however are a fine hunting bullet for big game.
THE LORD IS MY ROCK

Muley Shed Freak
3 point
3 point

Post by Muley Shed Freak » Mon May 25, 2009 10:29 am

TheGreatwhitehunter wrote:Posted by: ICMDEER
I've been outfitting for over 20 years and for the last 15, I have not allowed anyone to use a ballistic tip on deer or elk. I'm not real dictatorial, but I saw WAY TOO MANY of those bullets come apart on impact. I only saw one ballistic tip go through a critter and that was a 338 on a deer. Nosler makes other great bullets, but the ballistic tips should be used primariliy for varmints. Those bullets blow up on contact and I have not seen them penetrate at any distance or velocity. I still shoot good old partitions and they have served me well for many years.
YES +1 on on that

I have seen them blow up on the shoulder of animals would not personally use a Nosler Ballistic tip in the big magnum cartridges on Big Game.

Now on the other hand I have had good results with the Accubond and satisfying results with the Partition. I have also had good results using the Ballistic tips on Varmints but would not use them on big game after the problems I have seen with them. The Accubonds and the Partitions however are a fine hunting bullet for big game.

How is it that some of you are 'seeing' problems with these bulletts, and others such as myself that have used them on BIG GAME for over 20 years have had NO problems what so ever. None.
Now, I reload my own. Are these factory loads? My bulletts are traveling around 3100 fps. out of a .300 win mag. What calliber are these other people shooting?
Something smells fishy and it ain't the cat.

TheGreatwhitehunter

Post by TheGreatwhitehunter » Mon May 25, 2009 7:19 pm

Posted by: Muley Shed Freak
How is it that some of you are 'seeing' problems with these bulletts, and others such as myself that have used them on BIG GAME for over 20 years have had NO problems what so ever. None.
Now, I reload my own. Are these factory loads? My bulletts are traveling around 3100 fps. out of a .300 win mag. What calliber are these other people shooting?
Something smells fishy and it ain't the cat.

So what exactly are you saying with this comment ? You think we are all making this up?
Something smells fishy and it ain't the cat.[/]
Whats fishy to me is that you never had a issue with them ever?

I am just telling you the crappy experiences I have had with them. Now there Accubond and Partition are a very good product for big game IMO. :thumb

And as Far as ICMDEER is concerned, Jim is an outstanding outfitter who has been in the business for quite sometime he has an excellent reputation and 8 years straight of clients being 100% on 6 point bull elk AND NONE OF THEM HAD A NOSLER BT FAILURE because he does not let them use those bullets on game.

Well I took a guy Mule deer and antelope hunting he reloaded for his 7 mag with Ballistic tips and I warned him not to use them but he has been reloading for quite some time so I let it go. He loaded up some Nosler BT's and the very first antelope he shot the darn Nosler BT blew up on the shoulder and we had a antelope running around with 3 freaking legs we got it put dwon immediately with my rifle it did not look as bad as what happened to Nonya's antelope but it still was a major failure darn thing blew up on the shoulder blowing part of the leg off. :>/

Prior to this hunt I had used BT to take varmints and all different ranges and no issues but when I used them in a 300 win mag on deer the darn things blew up on impact causing some serious wounds to the deer and not a humane kill. Blew up right on the deer on impact :>/

Fine bullet for varmiting but I will not use them for big game again.

I have had no issues with the accubond and have been pretty happy with the partition.

Dont know why you have not had any problems youre lucky 4c I guess but I am only telling you my expericence with them.
THE LORD IS MY ROCK

TheGreatwhitehunter

Post by TheGreatwhitehunter » Mon May 25, 2009 7:22 pm

Treedagain wrote:
+1 muley shed freak.....never had a issue with any nosler bullets. I shoot a 160 grn partition and my brother shoots a accubond 160 grn....no issues.
I have never had issues with the accubond or the partition either Treedagain.

We are disscussing are displeasure with the Nosler Ballistic Tip and the failures we have or have not experienced with them.
THE LORD IS MY ROCK

quebechunter
Spike
Spike

Post by quebechunter » Tue May 26, 2009 6:01 am

some guys just don't seem to recognize failure signs
my brother for instance use 150 gr. B.T. in is 300wsm. he shot a moose and a few deer with em
and tought that huge shallow holes was a sign of good terminal performance. even if the moose took 3 shots to bring down. ](*,)

Muley Shed Freak
3 point
3 point

Post by Muley Shed Freak » Wed May 27, 2009 10:13 am

quebechunter wrote:some guys just don't seem to recognize failure signs
my brother for instance use 150 gr. B.T. in is 300wsm. he shot a moose and a few deer with em
and tought that huge shallow holes was a sign of good terminal performance. even if the moose took 3 shots to bring down. ](*,)

Maybe I missed something, but don't tell me the Moose was shot with a 150 grain BT. Moose have some seriously thick hide and muscle mass. I used the 200 grain's on my Moose. One shot. Down. Found the Mushroomed bullett on the exit side in the hide. 150 grains isn't enough on any big game. At least 165 grains on deer should be the minimum with BT. MY OPINION. MY .02 Cents.
I think the Failure is lying with the caliber used, bullett weight and powder charge used on which ever animal you are taking down, not the bullett alone.

TheGreatwhitehunter

Post by TheGreatwhitehunter » Wed May 27, 2009 12:39 pm

150 grains isn't enough on any big game.
Well, I must of really screwed up using 130 grain bullets all these years out of my 270 taking 12 antelope and over 20 deer. Not to mention a couple of elk with 150 grain Nosler Partitions. (???)

Man what was I Thinking :-k

I will be sure to never use my 25-06, 257 weatherby or 270 on any big game again for now on I will be sure to only use calibers that offer at least a 165 grain bullets or larger. Good thing I already have some bigger calibers in the safe.

Shot placement is key and having a well constructed hunting bullet that performs is a must for all big game hunting such as a Hornady Interbond, Barnes TSX, Swift A-Frame, Speer Trophy bonded Bear claw ect ect... Knowing your rifles Ballistics and not taking shots beyond what your rifle is capable of is also important. A well placed shot with a 270 using a well constructed or bonded bullet is more deadly than a bad shot with 338 mag just my Opinion and ($$)
THE LORD IS MY ROCK

southwind
Monster
Monster

Post by southwind » Wed May 27, 2009 3:14 pm

I can't believe this thread is still going.

Problems with Nosler ballistic tips has been well documented. You can go to almost any hunting forum and find a thread discussing this.

Just look at the construction, now compare it with any varmint grenade type bullet and most have a similar design. It is a thin jacketed, soft core, tipped bullet. It has limitations on big game especially at higher velocities.

They are an accurate bullet and were one of the first of it's kind and a lot of hunters started and have stayed with them. They are a great seller but Nosler makes much better big game bullets.

The BT's were a first generation product and technology has advanced several generations past that design now.

--Thicker jacketed bullets
--Solid alloy copper bullets
-- bonding processes
--alloy core compositions
--yada yada yada....................

I have said you will see Barnes TSX be the new standard by which others strive to achieve in a big game bullet and it is happening. These are the type of bullets I have moved to because of great repeatable performance over a wide range of conditions and configurations. Hornady has just released their GMX bullet which is a "TSX' generation of bullet design.

There is nothing wrong with Nosler, I use many of their bullets especially their custom competition bullets.

As far as not using anything under 150 grain on big game? Well, like GWH I could not even tell you how many deer and antelope I have taken with 130 grain bullets through a 270.

It is not just the weight of the bullet but all the factors of the cartridge that makes it suitable for big game. Legions of deer and antelope have fallen to .243 and .257 class cartridges with 100 grain weighted bullets.
150 grains isn't enough on any big game.
Those kind of statements are way too broad.

If you like the Nosler Ballistic tips and have had not problems then continue to use them with confidence. But don't deny that there have been and still are problems with this bullet.

It's just limited outdated technology.

TheGreatwhitehunter

Post by TheGreatwhitehunter » Wed May 27, 2009 3:54 pm

Southwind well said =D>
THE LORD IS MY ROCK