Nosler failures

Talk anything related to Rifle hunting
NONYA
Monster
Monster

Nosler failures

Post by NONYA » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:07 pm

I had two instances of bullet failure over the last week with Noslers Combined technology hunting bullets,i had one fragment on impact on my buck sunday and another on a doe Wed that completly BLEW UP on impact and did not even penetrate the shoulder blade at 100 yards.This is a pic of the ENTRANCE.

southwind
Monster
Monster

Post by southwind » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:30 pm

Yep, that and a regular ballistic tip will do that especially if you are over 3000 fps.

What are you shooting?

Try the Accubond it won't do that.

I use barnes TSX on thicker skinned animals but would also work fine on goats and deer.

The CTBT and BT's can have that problem at higher velocities.

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:51 pm

nosler is made not 20 miles from where i live, in bend or oregon, in my opinion they do not make a good bullet! garbage!! SWIFT,BARNS are the only way to go!
Last edited by killerbee on Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheGreatwhitehunter

Post by TheGreatwhitehunter » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:22 pm

I have talked to people had problems in the past with Ballistic tips Never used the combined technology though.

Had a hunter up in Wyoming last week the same darn thing happened to one of his doe antelope blew up on the shoulder.

I use strictly Hornady internbonds and or Barnes and swift

though the Nosler accubonds are good too.
THE LORD IS MY ROCK

GPWDeer
2 point
2 point

Post by GPWDeer » Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:01 am

I absolutely love the results I have had on the past seven deer that I have shot using the Federal Premium 150 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip bullets. Great penetration, great knock down power and I have never had any issue. Not saying that this doesn't happen, but I have been extremely happy with their performance. I also like the accubonds though, I use them for elk.

GPWDeer
Making the swtich to the strick and string! Watch out!

NONYA
Monster
Monster

Post by NONYA » Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:13 pm

Im using my Barnes triple shocks for everything but varmits from now on,i figured Nosler wouldnt sell them as a premium hunting bullet unless they could handle 2950 fps and a little antelope,they are junk.

southwind
Monster
Monster

Post by southwind » Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:08 pm

I have taken somewhere around probably a dozen deer or antelope with them but penetration is not thier thing. The biggest problem has been on those short range around 100 yards in where in some cartridges you are still over 3000 fps.

I found out eight years ago when I shot a 6X6 bull with 180 grain 300 win mag using ballistic silvertips. I hit him square in the shoulder while still hunting the black timber at 75 yards. I knocked him down out of sight and he got up and headed south and with mine and others best efforts we never recovered him. Ran out of blood within half mile but still tracked for another 2 miles before we completely lost him. That bullets went to pieces and never penetrated.

I still use them from time to time but you have to know the limitations of the bullet. Some guys like a bullets like that that come to pieces and they kill and have killed a mountain of animals. But for high velocity at short ranges you can have trouble.

I use a bonded or solid more often than not and the Accubonds, barnes tsx, swift sciroccos, interbonds etc.. are all great. I also now on any bi-metal bullets I like a jacket that is thicker at least in some areas than a thin overall jacket like on the bt's and ctbt's. To me they are more of a target or varmit designed bullet. Other than the polymer tip they are a lot like sierra match kings. And, I know guys who hunt with and swear by Match kings.

I have seen them do huge internal damage (which I also don't like) and every animal I have dressed that has been taken with them you will find pieces everywhere. I have never once seen one stay together.

They are hugely popular though.

Here is one of my examples: 80 yard shot with 270wsm 130 bt. The shot hit right behind the shoulder on other side and blew out about a 20" slash on the underside. Yes, that is not field dressing that is the effect of a bt at over 3000 fps at under 100 yards. Now, the goat was deader than a door nail but...............well just look.

NONYA
Monster
Monster

Post by NONYA » Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:49 pm

Yhe they are junk,nice goat though.

bigbuck92
Monster
Monster

Post by bigbuck92 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:25 pm

holy crap thats probalya 8 inch hole in that goat!
Cody
Old hunters NEVER die,they just have better camo.

yak4fish
Fawn
Fawn

Post by yak4fish » Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:29 pm

Looks like a perfect goat for the gutless field dressing method. :)

Allen