Idaho Whitey Success 2007

Talk anything related to Rifle hunting
AGCHAWK
Monster
Monster

Idaho Whitey Success 2007

Post by AGCHAWK » Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:02 pm

Well, one of my whitetail hunting buddies took home this unique whitetail yesterday while hunting unit 8A in Northern Idaho.

We went out Thanksgiving morning and were rather disappointed that we only saw a handful of deer. The next day, I decided to stay behind and spend some time with the wife and kids while my Brother and Shaun ventured out to see what they could find. Actually, Shaun was after a real monster buck he spotted last week and was hoping to get on him again...and get a shot off.

They split up...with Shaun walking an old logging road while my brother skirted the lower end of a large clear-cut that lay next to the road. After walking, stopping to call/rattle, and walking some more they managed to spot 3 young bucks and one decent one that hit the tree-line before a shot was taken.

Then, after about two hours of this, Shaun spotted a "wierd" lookin' buck that was running with a small 3 point and three does. The sighting was quick but Shaun figured that the buck was heading straight for my brother, JD. He radioed him to be prepared and then hoped for the best. Not 5 minutes later JD spotted movement on the edge of the clearcut as the "wierd buck" and his companions entered the clearing. My brother leveled his .270, took aim, and fired...MISSED! The buck spooked and took off right toward Shaun again. This time Shaun didn't miss and knocked the buck over with one well-placed shot through the chest.

The buck is a rather typical 5 point on the left side but has a total of 6 points on the right. As you can see in the pics, he has three large points, two of which are look like different main beams. He also has one large eye-guard and although it's tough to see in the pics, he has three small points coming out around the eye-guard. The right pedicle is also about an inch further down the forehead than the left side.

He is certainly not the biggest buck in the woods and wasn't the big brute that Shaun spotted the week prior but it is certainly worthy of "Trophy status" in our book!

Another successful Whitetail hunt in Northern Idaho...ENJOY!
Attachments
shaun2.JPG
shaun2.JPG (146.06 KiB) Viewed 6045 times
shaun1.JPG
shaun1.JPG (114.5 KiB) Viewed 6045 times
shaun.JPG
shaun.JPG (108.95 KiB) Viewed 6045 times

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:32 pm

thats cool! i have to do that one of these days! congrats to your buddy :thumb

AGCHAWK
Monster
Monster

Post by AGCHAWK » Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:48 pm

Killer, any time you decide to give it a shot just drop me a line. I'll hang with ya if ya need the company/help.

a_bow_nut

Post by a_bow_nut » Sat Nov 24, 2007 2:09 pm

That's a nice looking buck. :thumb

I hope that you get another chance to get out and chase them little buggers.
Live to hunt, hunt to live.

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell
the difference.

bigbuck92
Monster
Monster

Post by bigbuck92 » Sat Nov 24, 2007 2:21 pm

Thats an awesome looking deer! Congrats to him. Im with KB on this one. Maybe after i graduate we'll have to go hunt some whiteys
Cody
Old hunters NEVER die,they just have better camo.

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Sat Nov 24, 2007 5:20 pm

AGCHAWK wrote:Killer, any time you decide to give it a shot just drop me a line. I'll hang with ya if ya need the company/help.
oh, i will for sure! it looks like it was a wee bit chilly, whats the temperatures get to that time of year?? and is it better the colder/ more weather you get??

HighLander
Monster
Monster

Post by HighLander » Sat Nov 24, 2007 6:16 pm

Nice looking deer!!
ALWAYS CHECK YOUR ARROWS BEFORE SHOOTING.......TRUST ME!!

wilecoyote76
Spike
Spike

Post by wilecoyote76 » Sat Nov 24, 2007 6:26 pm

Wow! What a dandy whitetail! Congrats on the great hunt.

AGCHAWK
Monster
Monster

Post by AGCHAWK » Sat Nov 24, 2007 6:46 pm

Killer, it was between 5 and 10 degrees F out there the last couple mornings...so yea, it's a bit chilly. As for how the weather effects the hunt, it does seem that once the snow falls and the temps dip that the bucks really turn it on as far as the rut goes. Of course, we've taken them when the weather is a bit better (Early NOV) but some snow and sub-freezing temps are always a welcome site as far as the hunting goes.

hghcountry
Fawn
Fawn

Post by hghcountry » Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:07 am

AG,

Sweet buck, tell your buddy congrats! We leave tomorrow to come up your way for the week, we will be staying in Lewiston. Hows the rut?Thanks for all the help and info you have provided this last month or so!

-Highcountry
-Hunt the high country!