Refinishing a stock

Talk anything related to Rifle hunting
Elko
2 point
2 point

Refinishing a stock

Post by Elko » Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:11 pm

I just picked up a used Remington 600 in .243 but the stock has quite a few scratches on it and I would like to refinish it. Anybody have any ideas on how to start and what to use?

a_bow_nut

Post by a_bow_nut » Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:18 am

Sandpaper and some elbow grease. LOL :)

That's about all the farther that I could tell yeah and I bet you know more than that.
Live to hunt, hunt to live.

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell
the difference.

M.Bird
3 point
3 point

Post by M.Bird » Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:41 am

For refinishing:
Does it have checking, do you want to keep the checking? You might need to find a checking tool, lots of practice before working on the stock.
A_ Bow_nut is right about the elbow grease, start with 100-120 grit sand paper, once you have it smooth them start moving up in sandpaper grit until it is smooth at 600gr. You will need some tack cloth to remove the dust between sanding.
What type of wood is it? Does it have good grain or just blank wood, if blank wood what color do you want to stain it or have it painted, a good automotive paint has worked for me. I have heard of some people using just spray cans and doing the entire gun.
If it has good wood, you can do a hand rub oil, then a clear coat.

These are great winter project, just take your time, and don’t get in a rush to finish
:thumb good luck

southwind
Monster
Monster

Post by southwind » Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:49 am

Remington used a lot of urethane in their finishes which is tuff ot get off less of scraping or a lot of sanding. If it is more of a oil finish I have used "Easy Off" oven cleaner to lift oil out of wood. I note of caution: it is nasty stuff and you need gloves and well ventilated area.

I have also lifted a lot of scratches with a wet cloth and an iron. Lay a damp cloth over scratch and press iron over it sveral times. Sometimes scratches in a polyurethane finish can be buffed out with steel wool and then polished back.

For finishing I am partial to tung oil I will hand rub in several coats taking steel wool to it between coats. ($$)

The Ox
Monster
Monster

Post by The Ox » Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:28 pm

i just redid a remington 223 and i had to sand the heck outta it and i restained it i took it all apart and had only the stock so i did not mess up the barrel etc. but just go pick out a stain color and when you have it nice and sanded than use a cloth and dip it in stain and just apply it evenly let it dry than add another coat if you want it dark than you can get a finish like semi gloss or something to add shine or you can just oil it up and that looks nice too i used a little linseed oil on it to keep it protected but i may put a semi gloss clear coat on it
here is a before and after pic of it kinda hard to see but the rifle looks almost brand new i reblued the barrel as well i bet i tripled the value of this rifle in just a couple hours

before:
http://s159.photobucket.com/albums/t131 ... before.jpg

after
http://s159.photobucket.com/albums/t131 ... fter-1.jpg