Newbie Mulie Hunt

Talk anything related to Rifle hunting
A Bolt
Fawn
Fawn

Post by A Bolt » Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:53 am

Based on what I'm reading here and elsewhere, I'm starting to think this area may be too intense for me as a first timer.

Am I getting the correct impression?

Would eastern Montana be a better starting place for a newbie?

Wyosheds
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Wyosheds » Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:55 pm

If your going to use a guide I wouldn't be worried about anything except drawing a tag.
If your going to DIY without ever being in the Bridger Tetons before make sure you have a GPS and I would rent a Satellite phone also. I started renting phones a couple of years ago when I go hunting because there are very few places that have any type of cell service if something were to go wrong.
I don't know much about Easter Montana so I can't compare the areas very well, but I thought most of that part of Montana was Private and hard to get access too now days.
Welcome to Wyoming! Now take a Wolf and leave.

MontanaMonkey
Fawn
Fawn

Post by MontanaMonkey » Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:41 pm

The previous poster is correct about Eastern Montana, it is really hard to get land to hunt on. Your best would be to try for tags, and then hire an outfitter. There is one behind every tree out there, so they are not hard to find. There is some public land that can be hunted, but it gets tons of pressure. If you do some research, it is possible that you can find some BLM or State land to hunt, but remember, when you are looking at maps, most of the State land is in the middle of private land, almost all of which in EM is outfitted, or has livestock on it, so most land owners wont give you permission to cross their lands to hunt those sections. Good Luck,
Take your kids hunting and teach em right.

NONYA
Monster
Monster

Post by NONYA » Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:24 pm

Outfitters have leased up many of the ranchs that used to be in block managment,the ones that are worth hunting anywho,I would start applying for the tag and then hire an outfitter.

A Bolt
Fawn
Fawn

Post by A Bolt » Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:52 pm

Thanks all for the help. I'll be making some decisions soon, although I'll probably be waiting till '09 since the boss (wife) is putting up quite the fuss.

Since I'm on the subject, and I'm sure most of us have the same problem - Can anyone offer tips on breaking in the wife on the idea of going west to hunt? ](*,)

NONYA
Monster
Monster

Post by NONYA » Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:49 pm

Tell her its that or VEGAS... :thumb

MontanaMonkey
Fawn
Fawn

Re: Newbie Mulie Hunt

Post by MontanaMonkey » Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:41 am

Do what I have to do every year. When my wife starts complaining about me flying home to kill animals, I start bringing home books from the local Porche, Corvette, and Mazarrati dealers. I tell her, well, if I cant go hunt, I guess I will just buy one of these cars with the money that I have been saving to fly home and hunt with. That usually straightens her out pretty quick. Been working for eight years now. Last year she didnt even complain, she just sighed and said OK, because she knew what was coming.
Take your kids hunting and teach em right.